4th 3rd gen iPad - all with screen issues

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zebi, Mar 24, 2012.

1. zebi macrumors member

So here it is - I'm extremely disappointed with the iPad 3rd gen. First one a dead pixel, second screen yellowing at the top, third pink at the bottom and top, fourth yellow on left and cool on the right.

Any hype or promise this device had has been killed by me having to go in and continually swap them out. The main selling point is the new screen. :(

I guess this is the pain of being an early adopter.

2. zebi thread starter macrumors member

3. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Did you give the glue a chance to cure?

4. zebi thread starter macrumors member

the only glue there is the one bonding the glass to the chassis. Actually have pink hues on the most recent one I have too.

There hasn't been too many people saying their iPads are fixed magically by themselves.

5. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

The right side of my screen (in portrait) has a slight pink hue as well. It doesn't really worry me though, I think it is improving the more I use it.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You should examine your iPad before leaving the store.

7. zebi thread starter macrumors member

I agree with you, however it is quite difficult under store lighting to make a good judgment. Also another note, most of the issues with screen discolouration etc cannot be seen under bright lights or in daylight. Mostly visible
    indoors in normal lighting conditions.

8. newdeal macrumors 68020

so as for these dead pixels since they aren't even visible at a normal distance how much does this really bother you? I honestly have no desire to put my face up to the screen to try to detect a defect that has no impact on my life whatsoever

9. zebi thread starter macrumors member

It will look like a bit of immovable dirt at normal viewing distance. If it doesnt bother you that's good for you.

10. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

How exactly are you testing this?

I have noticed what looks like color shift depending on room lighting/content/angle. But as I own color measuring equipment I tested it, and it is uniform everywhere.

11. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Curious what apple does with all these defective devices that people return, will they have to open each iPad and manually fix each dead pixel on each device? Or just try and pass em off to people who don't care?

12. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

They'll get refurbished (cleaned and electronically tested) and then most of those units will be replacement units for broken iPads that customers can swap at the store.

So within a month or so of each product release, if you go to a store and swap your iPad or whatever, you will get a refurbished one with no new box or accessories.

A small percentage of those refurbished units will be sold at about a 10% discount through the online store.

13. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

to people with a life who aren't so anal retentive...usually

14. Djay1 macrumors member

I had a pink tinge in the upper right corner (landscape). Got it 2nd day of launch. It is now gone!

15. zebi thread starter macrumors member

My eyes and I do ask other people their opinions. Going by the amount of people on this forum ( and I agree that they are a small percentage of new iPad owners), there are a lot of people experiencing and complaining about screens with colour imbalance.

IMO this is the first time ever I have had to take a device back with so many issues with one component. There's so much nonsense about glue drying etc, it would be good to get an explanation and some sort of resolve from Apple, rather than returning devices multiple times.

16. soldierblue macrumors 6502

I'm on the 4th as well, same color uniformity issues. I'm going to return it and try again in a few months. It's not worth my time right now. The resolution is great, but as it stands, outside of that it's one of the worst panels I've used.

17. azurehi macrumors regular

azurehi

Yes! Apple apparently responds when the volume of returns/complaints reaches a level known only to them. Keep trying or get a refund.

18. KevinRightWing macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

I bought a 16gb wifi model today and couldn't stand how the top left corner was so much warmer than the rest of the screen. I got an exchange and the second one is no different. Just going to get a refund.

19. evo3rs macrumors newbie

That's what I thought too, but can't really tell if they just re-wrapped the box for resale.

I bought my 2nd new Ipad at a local Apple store yesterday and out of the box it has tiny scratches at the back and plastic wrapping have dust all over, dock had traces of cleaning agent etc.

I am going back to the store for a refund and most likely to order another one online.

20. KevinRightWing macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

This might be a really dumb question, but are there uniformity issues with the kindle fire as well? I am not going to go buy another iPad 3, but I really want a tablet web browser. I was stupid and sold my iPad 1 prior to the iPad 3 release, and I wasn't expecting this screen fiasco.

21. evo3rs macrumors newbie

22. soldierblue macrumors 6502

To be honest, I've never seen such consistent issues on a mobile device. I've had a Kindle Fire, as does some of my family, no screen issues.

23. dsc888 macrumors 6502

I don't know if the KF is a back or side lit display but I believe this makes a difference. I too own a KF and I had no display uniformity/tint issues either. But the KF is thick and a bit heavy. the iPad's display is side lit (from the top and bottom) I believe and this may be the root of the issues. I returned all 4 of my new iPads for a full refund from Apple just yesterday due to pink/yellow tinting.

24. chancee macrumors member

Returning mine as well... Screen sucks, I don't care what anybody says. Trying to read white web pages actually hurts my eyes. Maybe the LG screens will be better, but this has been such a fiasco I don't even know if I'll deal... I hope the guy in Kentucky who bought my iPad on eBay is enjoying it! I would really like it back!