4th Gen AirPort Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Apple Fan 21, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Apple Fan 21 macrumors regular

I have a 4th Gen AirPort Extreme lying around I think of using to extend my WiFi to cover my back yard and pool. I want mount it on the ceiling of my covered patio. Anyone know the temperature range of these things? It gets hot here in Cali. I am worried about the heat even though it will be under a patio.. Also can I use a plastic bag to protect it from the misters on the patio cover or will that mess with the ventilation??

2. bristolgadget macrumors newbie

All of apples kit has the same tech spec temperature recommendations

http://www.apple.com/uk/airport-extreme/specs/

Operating temperature: 10° to 35° C (50° to 95° F)

it will probably work find hotter or colder than that but its life will be reduced by an unknown amount.

there are no fans in the device, ventilation is by radiation only. if you're putting it outside, you are taking a risk whatever you do. critters nesting in it, flys dying on the logic board etc etc etc .

Plastic bag is probably not a good idea. build a wooden box with some fly screen material to stop things getting into it but allow some ventilation. see what happens, this is outside of its designed purpose but it might be ok. your risk.

I would do whatever i can to keep it indoors but making it fully available to your garden. mount it inside the house on or near a window frame/patio door facing the garden would be the best compromise.