4th Gen APE extending from a 6th Gen APE

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Apple Fan 21, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Apple Fan 21 macrumors regular

I got a 6th Gen AirPort Extreme for Xmas. Im am using that as my "main" router and using my 5th Gen Extreme it replaced down stairs for my A/V equipment. Both the 6th and 5th Gen's are connected via ethernet. Now my Q, I have a 4th Gen Extreme I have repurposed to extend my coverage to my backyard. There is no ethernet where it is placed so Im using it to extended the network. My issue is the 4th Gen is "feeding" off of the 5th Gen and not the 6th Gan like I want it to. Is there a way in the setting to force the 4th Gen to "feed" off of the 6th Gen Extreme?

2. Apple Fan 21 thread starter macrumors regular

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Reset it to factory settings and it should give you an option to Extend, however with a drop down menu to select which base station to extend. If you are using the Ethernet ports on it for your A/V Equipment why not disable wireless on the second AirPort? It is best to have as little noise as possible in a wireless LAN.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

In the old WDS days the association occurred based on the MAC address, so would be a no-brainer.
    Nowadays you use the SSID of the WLAN to be extended, so I think you have to use distinct WLAN names.
    Further reading: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4145