4th gen camera

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Beachin, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Beachin macrumors newbie

My daughter wanted to print some pictures that were taken with her 4th generation touch, so she sent them to me for editing.

When I opened them up, they were 72dpi and only 640x480.

I am looking for camera settings now and can not find any.

Please, tell me that these settings can be changed. I can not believe that this ipod only takes photos good enough for computer viewing and not printing..

2. na1577 macrumors 6502a

The maximum resolution for the rear facing camera is 960x720, and 640x480 for the front facing camera. Neither of these settings can be changed.

3. Beachin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I was afraid of that...

4. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

The back camera is only 0.7MP, so that explains why.

5. jimmie32 macrumors member

jimmie32

It's actually a .93 MP (1280x720, 720p HD on 16:9) sensor, then cut down to 960x720 (4:3 720p) for stills. You can actually jailbreak and enable the extra .23 MP, but that will just give you a wider view (more pixels to the left and the right), no difference for prints either, just extra unneeded pixels.

Sorry to make you hear this. We were all shocked when we found out this wasn't the awesome 5MP sensor from the iPhone 4. But hey, you should be happy enough that Apple gave us two cameras.

It's a music player, not a camera. :) Apple made this just to say "Hey, the iPod Touch can record 720p HD video!". I suspect it's just a video sensor, then Apple hacked it to do stills.

(Unlike some poor cameraphone manufacturers who hack still sensors to do awful video. Imagine CIF 352x288 video at 8 fps. Ugh.)

6. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

I had to say this kind of camera is so ungelivable! Each photo look pertty good with iPod Touch 4, but you can find full of noise in the photo with computer. Whatever, iPod Touch 4 can still be shinning without Camera and the front one is not too bad.

7. jimmie32 macrumors member

jimmie32

Photos look awful even on the retina display if the lightning is just a little below optimal. Once the ISO goes up, it's terrible.

Optimal Lighting = Broad Daylight.

Sort-of well Illuminated Room at night is below Optimal. Really.

Though, I'd prefer if they ditched backside illumination and 720p HD and given us a 2G/3G style 2.0 MP and VGA video. Just dreaming...

But Apple, if you're reading this, I want at least a 3GS style 3.0MP 720p Autofocus sensor. I use the iPod touch a lot to take pictures of notes (to read) and the lack of macro focus and optical resolution is immediately apparent.

The front facing camera, although it looks like the iPhone 4 one, it is not. The iPhone 4 front camera can get more accurate white balance and apparently has a better dynamic range and exposure control.

Sad fact that Apple is giving us considerably lower-end parts. But hey... $299 vs $599. A telephony chip, aluminosilicate glass doesn't cost $300. They did have to scale down things...

Just ranting.

8. pepi macrumors member

Camera on my iPod Touch = FAIL

My cheap LG flip phone is much better :(