iPad 4th Gen iPad is going crazy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nixxoplatinum, Jun 18, 2013.

1. nixxoplatinum macrumors newbie

My iPad is going crazy. It'll randomly open and cycle through any and all running apps by itself. If I kill all the running apps, it'll magically swipe to the left and randomly enter characters in the search field. Sometimes, it'll open my contacts and just cycle through them randomly.

I thought it was because I didn't update the OS. But it still happens even after installing the latest OS update. Only way to stop it is if I hard reset it. Powering it down and turning it back on doesn't work.

This has been happening for a month or so and at least once a week.

Any ideas???

2. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

3. 960design macrumors 68020

Contact apple for a replacement. I get that in about 1 in a 1000 iPads.

4. nixxoplatinum thread starter macrumors newbie

Will do. Thanks.

Do you think I'll have to reformat first as a last ditch effort before contacting Apple? I have a feeling they will ask me that.

5. 960design macrumors 68020

Yes it never hurts to try a recovery. That's what I do, in the case of the 'haunted ipad' though after the recovery the device would behave for about a minute and then start freaking out like it was trying to hack itself. It would type in password fields, switch programs, just crazy.

6. MandyAW92 macrumors member

Try the recovery, but it does sound like a problem with the screen

7. nixxoplatinum thread starter macrumors newbie

I backed it up and wiped it back to factory settings. And like you all mentioned, it started acting possessed again (but not as severe as before). I have an appt today at the genius bar so we'll see what happens.

If I get a replacement, they won't cover the screen protector right?

8. 960design macrumors 68020

No, they will not cover the screen protector.

Soapbox opinion follows:
    If I may, all the iPads with screen protectors suffer from 'haze' after a few months. The screen protector itself gets scuffed and makes the 'screen' look aweful. I've had people bring their iPad to me complaining about how bad it looks. I rip off the screen protector and watch their eyes widen in amazement at the glossy brightness underneath.

I don't recommend screen protectors. The glass is dern near scratch proof and easily wipes clean with a cloth.

Thank you for listening to useless opinions.

9. nixxoplatinum thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I've had the invisible shield HD on there for about 7 months and never had issues with it. Most of the time I forget it's there.

Update: I took it in and the tech gave me crap about restoring the iPad to factory settings before bringing it in. He said there's no way to replicate the issue and running a diagnostic will not show anything. He checked anyways and told me there doesn't seem to be any issues with the hardware or software. "As a courtesy and since it's still under warranty, we'll go ahead and swap it out with a new one." I'm a happy camper now!

Hopefully it doesn't happen again but if it does, I'll take it in as is.

10. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

happened to me with my i5. It was bent and I made an appointment talking about wi-fi issues (back when the i5 first came out), it croaked during the restore process (restarted) so they just swapped it out to save time.