4th gen iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dustin925, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Dustin925 macrumors newbie

Does anybody have any realistic, down-to-earth predictions on what will be the outstanding feature(s) on the 4th gen iPad? I haven't heard anything lately except iPad mini news and dubious reports on Foxconn strikes. I'm not really interested in the iPad mini that much, but we haven't really seen it yet.

I'm thinking, maybe a design overhaul with options of black or silver aluminum casing, like the iPhone 5, with hopefully a HD front-facing camera. As far as the iOS, I don't really know what to expect to be different. I wonder if we'll see those weird looking touchscreen smart covers that Apple patented?

Any other ideas?

2. washburn macrumors 6502

In-Cell display like the iPhone 5 making it thinner and use less energy, also overall a better display with better colors

Lightning connector

3. Bishwasher macrumors regular

I'm thinking more variety of colours (like new iPod Touch) and lightning connector.

4. Dustin925 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Lightning connector. I hope the display gets better, too, so it compares to the iPhone 5 with the in-cell tech like you said.

5. waa1futs macrumors 6502

Don't forget some iPad variant of the A6 chip. Faster and better battery life.

6. ctdonath macrumors 65816

ctdonath

No cool improvements come to mind, just bumps in power, memory, storage, with new connector and in-cell display making it thinner and bigger battery.

The one out-there development I keep hoping for is a light sensor as part of each pixel, so you could literally scan a document by holding it to the screen. The laminated-glass display could be thin enough to make that viable.

7. jigzaw macrumors 6502

I don't own an iPad yet and am waiting for the 4th gen. I may get tempted by the Mini, but I feel that I must hold out because I have the 4S and feel that the mini will just be a larger iPhone whereas the large iPad will serve more uses for me for a longer time.

I remember a crazy rumor on the eve of the iPad 3 announcement about haptic feedback and I haven't been able to put that out of my mind. The technology exists, and apparently Apple has a relationship with the company that has been pioneering it. And this isn't just about a little buzz when you tap the screen- they've been able to simulate the touch of various textures (scales, wood, cloth, etc) on their glass screens. I know this may be very farfetched but is there any reason to believe Apple may produce a game-changer with the next iPad by introducing this technology to it? Or is this something that's more like 5+ years away?

8. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    It needs STEREO Speakers for more depth of sound, yes I know they will only be 5" apart.

9. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

128gb

I really need more space. I'm constantly juggling stuff on and off.

I typically have a fair number of videos I'm taking along with me.

10. dvboy macrumors regular

There are some rumors out there predicting a 16:9 aspect ratio like the Iphone 5,interesting,but I doubt we will see it.

11. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

A6X
    In cell display which makes it thinner and lighter
    Gorilla Glass 2?
    Lightning connector

12. iPadPublisher macrumors 6502

Other than the spec bumps listed here, I don't have an answer. This time around, I guess I'm really not expecting much. It would be nice for Apple to blow us away with something truly extraordinary -- but my guess is that you'll see a lot of these mentioned bumps and that's it.

I could seriously use more storage, but somehow I don't think Apple is going to do that.

13. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Only realistic things are the mentioned spec bumps. I personally am hoping for 128 GB, only reason I didn't upgrade to the 3rd gen.

14. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I hope that Apple does not do the same as the iPhone 5 and make the iPad thinner and lighter. Give it more battery with the room saved but keep the thickness and "strength" that thickness gives, the same.

Just saying that just because they CAN make it thinner, does not mean that need to do so. :eek:

15. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

this.

Plus HD FaceTime camera, same design as iPhone 5

16. scupking macrumors 6502a

Thinner, lighter, A6, 1.5 or 2GBs of ram, 32, 64, 128gb of space, longer battery life, 720p front facing camera and front faceing stereo speakers would be nice. Other then that don't know what else they could do.

17. ziffos macrumors member

ziffos

18. irDigital0l Guest

Hopefully they'll make keep the same prices but drop out the 16GB for the iPad Mini and make 32GB start at $499