4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5 Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheSuperSteve, Nov 8, 2011.

1. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Post yours. I get around 50 minutes with my iPod touch before it shuts off. Thats with everything enabled, wifi, volume to full blast, brightness all the way up, notifications all running, location services, push mail. Everything. It lasts about 50 minutes to an hour and a half.

Is this normal or is it the same with all your devices?

2. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

I'm confused.

Is your goal to maximize battery life, or minimize it?

Because it sounds like you're trying to minimize it.

3. TheSuperSteve thread starter macrumors 6502

Maximize it. What's the point of having a $230 (at the time i bought it anyways) device if i need to turn off all its features?

Anyways, i feel 50 minutes is too low, even for an iPod touch. My iPhone 4S barely lasts me 5 hours but that's another matter entirely.

4. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Well I have a year old 32gb ipod touch, and DON'T have ALL of the notifications running (why do you need all of them running?); I don't know off the top of my head how the brightness is set, but I'm sure it's not full; I am a chef, make notes on it, and listen to music through a blue tooth stereo speaker a few hours a day, and the charge lasts me all day. I usually plug it in when I go to bed, and it lasts me all the next day.

You've obviously got something running, that's draining your battery.

If your goal IS to maximize it, google it, and there are lots of things you can do to maximize your battery life.

But it sounds like you've done everything to MINIMIZE your battery life, then complain about it. Seems kinda weird to me; but, what do I know . . .

5. TheSuperSteve thread starter macrumors 6502

You're a chef? I studied at a culinary school last year and only learned the best ways to get cut and burned. Hahaha.

Yours last you all day long? I mean, if i turn off almost everything, it'll last upto 2 hours or so. But really what's the point of that if you can barely use it as it was intended?

Is it because i leave my iPod touch charging to a chinese clone of an Apple dock all day? It could also be iOS 5 battery issues. It cant be the charger, its just a charger. iOS devices stop charging once they're full.

I have no idea why i'm getting pitiful battery life. It was the same on iOS 4. Maybe the battery on my iPod touch is dying. This thing isnt even a year old. I bought it on February.

6. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

I've been cooking for 25 years, and in that time I can probably count on both hands how many times I've cut and burned myself. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm using iOS 5 as well; I suspect that something you have is running constantly in the background. First off, I would turn off all notifications you don't actually NEED. Also, I have location services set to on only for a few things, that I actually use that need it. Turn down the brightness.

Do you shut down all the apps running in the background, on the bottom?

I've ordered an iphone 4S, and I'm hearing horror stories about the battery of that, so not looking forward to it.

Just thought of something else -- let the battery completely drain, then recharge it completely. Supposedly that re-sets the battery.

7. TheSuperSteve thread starter macrumors 6502

Indeed. I'm studying chemistry now. Haha, talk about a career jump, eh?

Actually letting it drain only re-calibrates the battery meter. It does nothing for the battery itself.

Yes, the iPhone 4S has pitiful battery life and that's after i turn off things like you're telling me to with my iPod touch.

I'm gonna guess all iOS 5 devices are suffering from the same battery life bug. So i'm just gonna turn off certain things until Apple releases the patch.

Thanks for the help.

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

If your battery is bad, take it back. You're still under the 1yr warranty :D

9. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

That's great that you're going into chemistry; I think most people don't realize how much science is in cooking, so I don't think it's a stretch at all.

How much battery life are you getting from your 4S?

10. OneOkami Guest

Either you have a load of stuff running, or your battery is bad. I try not to leave my iPod sitting idle for long periods of time but I often forget to shut it down, leaving it running for days at a time. I play music on it almost every day and regularly take pictures and record/playback video with it, and this all often happens without charging in between.

iOS5 degraded the performance of my iPod, but my battery still seems to be holding up fine.

11. lukeyyyyy macrumors member

bit off topic but ios5 has improved the battery life on my 3gs,

So far 2 Hours 29 mins usage

7 Hours 33 min standby

Brightness 70%
    Wifi and bluetooth on,
    Location services on,

55% left

12. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Interesting.

Purely out of curiosity (I realize it's completely your business), but what do you do that you need bluetooth on all the time?

13. TheSuperSteve thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought it at a Best Buy. Am i still covered by the warranty? :confused:

14. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

I would think so, yes.

15. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

yes, you can even take it to the apple store because best buy is an authorized reseller of apple products along with companies like amazon and walmart.

16. IOSFOREVER macrumors newbie

seems like u are trying to minimize the battery life

my ipod touch lasts all day im really pleased with it

17. TheSuperSteve thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe he's a runner or drives a lot and needs a bluetooth headset on at all times? :confused:

On topic: I'm gonna call Best Buy and see if they'll exchange my iPod for a new one. I kind of doubt it. There are no Apple Stores where i live so that's out of the question. My only choice is Best Buy or other authorized resellers.

18. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I can easily get through a day with light-moderate use. I always charge it at night to. Here whats on and not.

WiFi- Pretty much always on
    Location- off
    iCloud- everything off
    Bluetooth- off
    About 35% brightness
    Fetch email every hour, no push (to 1 email account)
    No weather or stock widget in notification center.

I have awesome battery. I can probably last 2 days with it but I charge it always at night even on the weekends.

Pre iOS 5 I had to charge twice a day on weekends, now with the same usage I can get by using 50% battery.

Maybe iOS 5.0.1 will be even better.

19. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't make you go through Apple.

But, it's worth a shot.

20. TheSuperSteve thread starter macrumors 6502

I called and they're willing to send it to Apple so i can get a refurb for free. Not bad.

Except i remember i lost my receipt when i asked my dad to exchange the case i bought for my iPod for a different one (I bought the iPod and case at the same time so the entries where on the same receipt). I remember that he never gave me the receipt.

I'm screwed. :(

21. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

You MAY not be; I think, not sure, but I think, your registering it with Apple when you first connect it to itunes, counts as your 'receipt'. Did they specifically tell you that you need a receipt?

Or . . . maybe they'd want a receipt in order to prove you bought it from them, in order for them to deal with it . . .

There should be some other way to do it; because I don't think, if you were going through an Apple store, you'd have to show a receipt. Because they can just look up your serial #, and see when you registered it.

22. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I've found that on my iPhone 4, iPad 2, and iPod Touch 4G, all running iOS 5, that the biggest culprit for battery drain has been activating WiFi Syncing, even if I don't initiate syncing... just having it active.

When I disable wifi syncing, battery life returns back to normal.

23. TheSuperSteve thread starter macrumors 6502

But there are no Apple Stores where i live. Will Best Buy still do that serial # look up thing? And yes, the lady told me to bring the iPod in with all the original packaging if i had it and a receipt.

At this point i've already mourned the loss of my receipt. I might buy a spare battery and solder it myself once the battery completely dies. The problem is i dont know how to solder. :p

I don't have Wi-Fi syncing because it never works for me. I'm using a Windows PC if it matters. It just refuses to work no matter what i've tried. So i gave up on that feature. I just pretend it doesn't exists. XD

24. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Have you updated to 5.0.1?

25. TheSuperSteve, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011

TheSuperSteve thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes i did, Doesnt seem to help much.