4th Gen iPod Touch Video Format

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Drpepper99uk, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Drpepper99uk macrumors member

Hi,

Having been impressed with the video quality of the iPod Touch I decided to see if it would playback on my LG LCD TV which I managed to hack the firmware to get it to accepy USB flash sticks when playing back movies,photos etc.

After taking some footage and then connecting my iPod Touch to my Mac, I loaded up iPhoto first and my video's appeared in there which I managed to import into iPhoto and then find the .mov file of the video footage I'd taken.

However, when I transferred this footage to the USB stick it played at first and then stuttered all the way through which is obviously because the TV cannot playback 720p content smoothly via the USB port, or the Sandisk Slide flash drive is not fast enough(should be) so that idea went out of the window...next up my trusty Sony BDP-S370 Bluray player....nope this did not recognise the video format at all.....so do I now have to look and converting the footage to something like AVI in order to get it to play(PITA) I know there is talk of an HDMI lead released to connect your iPhone4/iPod Touch 4th Gen to your chosen HDTV for video playback etc straight from it.

Does iTunes not have some video support for the footage you take? I couldn't find anywhere that had.

Mike.

2. lostless macrumors 6502

The format is standard Mpeg4 H.261. The movies do have a variable frame rate. The ipod just lowers frame rate when light gets too low. I find some devices have issues with VFR h.264. The xbox 360 for one i know does as it just cant keep up with the video unless a convert it to a constant frame rate. And SD material just skips and drops frames for no reason if there is a VFR video.