Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I've noticed my 4th gen has a tendency to seemingly randomly pick 5 tracks and play them over and over again. In order to avoid this I have to "switch" play lists and then go back in order to get a new batch of songs, then it does the same thing with the next batch of songs.

In other words, the iPod will repeat a sequence of 5 songs over and over again unless I change play lists.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
I've noticed my 4th gen has a tendency to seemingly randomly pick 5 tracks and play them over and over again. In order to avoid this I have to "switch" play lists and then go back in order to get a new batch of songs, then it does the same thing with the next batch of songs.

In other words, the iPod will repeat a sequence of 5 songs over and over again unless I change play lists.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Yeah, I remember this kind of situation is much similar to my iPod nano4 in the early time, but it's won't come again. I have never made a play list, just shuffle all of the song by random album.

nowhere man7

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2010
The same thing happens with my 4th gen. I keep mine set to shuffle with about 300 songs on it but yea there are a few songs it just loves to repeatedly play.

My name is Alex

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
I never thought I would ever need an ipod shuffle but I got one today. It'll be great for when I go running or go to the gym. The iphone was just too bulky and I didnt like it at all (running with, that is). But this was only $70 and its very responsive, feels great, and is very very light. But I guess while being called a shuffle, I havent yet used the shuffle feature. I like knowing what song is gonna came up next with my playlists. Just how I use it.:D

Dooger

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I had the same problem last year with my iPhone. Just go into iTunes and reset the play counts. Turns out the shuffle function isn't completely random and uses your play count to play your preferred songs more frequently, trouble is that there comes a stage when it keeps playing the same 5 songs first.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I noticed my older iPod 5.5G has been doing this a lot. I leave my iPod attached to my car, and on Shuffle the whole time; but it always seems to play certain songs more often than others while in shuffle.

I'm 5 ft 8

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2008
Edmonton,Alberta CANADA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I had the same problem last year with my iPhone. Just go into iTunes and reset the play counts. Turns out the shuffle function isn't completely random and uses your play count to play your preferred songs more frequently, trouble is that there comes a stage when it keeps playing the same 5 songs first.

I'd like to change my play count in iTunes. Care to share step by step directions on how you did that ? Thanks.

csjo00

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
Arkansas
I'd like to change my play count in iTunes. Care to share step by step directions on how you did that ? Thanks.

Select the songs, right click, about 3/4 of the way down there will be an option called "Reset Play Counts." Click that.

My shuffle doesn't excessively repeat songs at all. I honestly haven't heard a repeat.. But then again my play counts are all about the same.

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
They're probably still using the same randomizer algorithm as when itunes was only for os 9. It's always been kinda bunk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.