4th gen Time Capsule bad file copy performance

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MaxBurn, Aug 17, 2011.

1. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I'm going to break this out to its own thread because it's bothering me. Basically I can't get network share performance from or to the Time Capsule any better than 28MB/s which is roughly what you get for USB2.

Over cat 6 and gigabit connections I should be able to go around 70~80MB/s. My server on this network has no problems doing that. Anandtech review says they got 80+MB/s reads and writes hovering around 32MB/s for the 2TB drive it comes with.

I'm thinking this is some sort of windows/apple issue here as all my computers are windows 7 or server 2003 and I just wanted a nice little router with built in file share in getting the time capsule. Unfortunately no macs here to test with other than iphone/ipad.

Ideas?

2. KenOzz macrumors member

KenOzz

Ok so far

I purchased the generation 4 this week as a direct replacement for my generation 3

I have only had it for a couple of days but I find the transfer rate so much better

As an example I backed up my iMac 145 GB in just over 2 hrs, in the first hour it backed up 84 gig

Don't know what MB/s that equates to , but it seems so much faster than the Gen 3

Also the wireless function seems better, on my Gen 3 my macbook would only connect to the 5Hz channel if it was in the same room, but now it connects to the 5Mz all the time so a big improvement for me

3. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Do you have a utility that displays transfer rates you can just copy files to/from it so we have something to look at?

4. KenOzz macrumors member

KenOzz

I don't Max in fact I don't know what your talking about :confused:

If you can point me in the right direction then I will do my best to oblige, my observations are not very knowledgeable I'm afraid, just based on my own experiences using the generation 3 and now the 4 (Sorry):(

5. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

84 GB/hour = 23.9 MB/sec
    145 GB in 2 hours = 20.6 MB/sec

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You could just start the Activity Monitor and click the network tab and that would show you the transfer rate to the TC. Just make sure nothing else it transferring data at the same time.

8. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I didn't want to do the math on this because I am sure there are many unrelated factors that take up time for the backup to process but those results are startlingly close to my results.