4th Generation iPod issues with newer iTunes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Stormwind, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Stormwind macrumors newbie

Hi,

My brother and I both have iPods. He has the newer and sleeker 30GB iPod/video, while I have an older, thick as a brick model, the 4th generation. I am able to update my playlists with the iTunes installed on my laptop (using the iTunes software that came with my iPod). My brother uses his iTunes software on the desktop to download his music. Since most of our music is on the desktop computer, I created my own playlists using his iTunes, but under a different computer user account.

Bottom line, when I go to sync my iPod with iTunes on the desktop computer, I just get the flashing "Do Not Disconnect" message, but iTunes doesn't seem to recognize that my iPod is connected. I recognizes my brother's just fine.

Can someone tell me why my iPod appears to be invisible? Is my 4th generation too much of a dinosaur to sync with the newer iTunes? Can you actually sync two iPods on the same iTunes?

Thx in advance!

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

If your ipod is synced with another computer, then that ipod should technically only work on the computer that the ipod uses. Does that make sense?

3. Stormwind thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that makes sense to me. That would explain why that computer/iTunes won't see the iPod. Is there any way to have it sync with multiple computers? Or at least make the iPod forget the old one and accept the new computer?

Thanks again for the reply. =)

4. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Well it should still become visible as a disk image, and itunes should still be able to see it, just not your music. I dont think its can sync with more than one computer, but it is easy enough to take and give sogns from the ipod or to the ipod, as long as you can see the icon on the desktop. When you connect it to the computer, see if the computer reads that it is connected, and not just the ipod. You can do this by going to the about this mac, more info...and then USB.