4th generation questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by theman24, May 28, 2010.

1. theman24 macrumors member

What are some features of the 4th gen ipod touch gonna be?

Will it have a camera??

Will it have a better speaker?

Please give good answers

2. The General macrumors 601

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Nobody knows, so anything you read is just speculation.

However, given that there was a prototype iPod touch 3rd gen with a camera, I'd say that the quality wasn't up to Apple's standards so they decided to scrap it for the next version. So, a camera is likely.

iPods have always gotten the new iPhones processor, so expect the new A4 chip to be in there as well, as well as the usual capacity bump.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I doubt the a4 processor will be in the iPod Touch as :apple: can't keep up with iPad supply right now... maybe when the iPad is upgraded it would find its way into the iPod Touch...

5. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

if there is a shortage of A4 chips there likely wont be by September.

The A4 chip is going into a lot of apple products iPad, New iPhone, possibly new apple tv.

It's safe to assume A4 will be in the ipod touch.

6. celticpride678

We know as much as you know. We'll have to wait and see what Apple announces.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I hope I'm wrong... I'd like to replace my 1st gen iPod touch as it began to develop a "row" of dead screen when using the calendar app (since the buttons are so close together in this app)... everything else works fine so I'm not sweating a replacement "for now"...

8. DifferentialApp macrumors regular

I would really like to see the A4 in the new iPod touches. The third generation iPods were (in my opinion) not as different from the second generation as I thought they would be.

9. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I'm looking to pass my iPhone 3gs to my daughter and replace it with a 4th gen touch this fall. I have a work-provided blackberry that I use for all my cell phone needs and my iPhone is used almost exclusively as my nightstand browser.

10. MacAttack29 macrumors newbie

Any idea when the 4th-Gen is coming out?

Im planning on buying a Macbook Pro and an iPod Touch with my student discount and I don't want to purchase it right before the new iPod Touch comes out.

11. INeedAMacBook macrumors 6502

the macbook pro with free ipod touch promotion ends right before the new ipod touch comes out, the 4th gen will probaly come 7th of December so the promotion will probally end 5th or 6th of december

12. JAT macrumors 603

It's not the A4 that is the supply problem, is it? The screens are far more difficult to acquire.

13. QuietlyReserved macrumors newbie

we wont really know until they're released in September, but my biggest complaint so far is that it doesn't have a built in mic (i lost the headphones that came with it) and im thinking they might put a camera on it

14. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

I really hope they put a camera in it, and I still think they probably won't. If there is a camera though, there'll be two, front facing and back facing. There'll be a built in mic regardless of camera.

It will be available in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB. The screen resolution will be improved just as the new iPhone's is supposedly. It will have an A4 chip in it no doubt, and I think it will have 802.11n WiFi. They will also change the volume buttons to two separate buttons just like how it was on the new iPhone when Gizmodo had it.

The camera is still iffy though, but if they put a camera in I would gladly upgrade from my 2nd gen.

15. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

So just because there is a shortage NOW you assume there will be a shortage from now on. LOL!

+1

You mean September.

16 32 and 64GB? i don't think so. I think 16GB may be scraped. After all people WANT more storage.

16. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I sure the hell hope not..

17. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Yea, just in time for Xmas, when there is a massive shopping spree and everyone is looking for gifts (for family members who don't have an iPhone but want a portable music device).

Smart, Apple puts out a new version of everything they make once a season. I think that summer is a "dead" time for most retail, but with the iPhone, all bets are off. Could be that Apple could make summer prosperous again.

18. BreuerEditor macrumors regular

BreuerEditor

Back to school promotion ends September 7th (not December) according to Apple's site, so it's safe to assume that they'll be announcing it sometime shortly after September 7th.

I'm waiting on the 4th Gen iPod Touch so I can just slip that baby in my pocket and off I go...the iPad is just too big to carry around for what I would need it for. I have a 17" MBP and I'd rather carry that and be able to run all of my apps than something nearly half that size and only run iPhone OS apps IMHO.

Can't wait for the 4th Gen!!

19. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

Is the current 8 GB iPod Touch a second generation or third? Im confused. What's different?

20. Cougarcat macrumors 604

2nd. It has the slower processor.

21. DifferentialApp macrumors regular

Last year me and some friends waited for the third generation. It was also thought to have a camera on it. We were quite disappointed by the outcome of the event. I hope that doesnt happen this year.

22. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Based on Steve Job's comments after the 3rd gen was released, the camera was not included due to marketing reasons (at least that was the reason he gave). The marketing reasons may have or may not have changed so who knows if the camera will be in the next gen.

23. EllieV macrumors 6502

Ya, we better not get royally screwed over by apple again

24. ct95 macrumors regular

The next iTouch needs to have a camera, or it doesn't have a reason to exist! The question is whether it will be front facing, rear facing or both. My preference is for rear facing, since that allows photos and/or videos.

Speculation on my part is that price points will stay the same. $199 will probably get you 16 or 32 GB old hardware (3rd gen?). 4th gen will be the higher price points. Camera and CPU are likely upgrades. Storage, RAM and screen are also possible. If they up storage and RAM, it seems like they would need to update iPad as well to keep pace. Lots of possibilities. Let's hope Apple delivers.

25. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Yep, Much faster processor / graphics, twice the RAM and twice the capacity for the same price as the previous year (32/64 G models).

Yep, I guess people were royally screwed or maybe you are exaggerating because you didn't get your camera.

I suppose if it was the same speed, same capacity, and same cost as the 2ng gen but with a camera, it would have been a success for you ?