4th macbook pro replacement, video tearing/distortion issues.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JAPears, Jul 17, 2010.

1. JAPears macrumors member

So i'm on my 4th macbook pro, and still have the same video tearing problem, heres the e-mail i've sent to apple, as apple care and the retail store i purchased the machine from seem pretty useless.

"First of all, I'm writing this after being advised to do so by an apple store employee.
    Ok, so its June the 17th (exactly one week before the purchase of my iphone 4, which I love by the way) and I've finally saved the cash for a brand new macbook pro 15 inch, and believe me, as a part time waiter, that wasn't an easy feat.
    Naturally, as a graphic design student, I chose the top spec i7, with the higher resolution screen. Purchase went through fine, and the apple employee's were very helpful.
    After setting things up at home, and using for only a couple of days I started noticing problems, the mac wouldn't wake up from sleep, and I was getting terrible screen tearing and scroll distorting(text and image) issues. Apple care advised me that it was a hardware issue, and I could send it for repair or replace it in store, I can't be without a computer for the 10 days that it may or may not have taken, so I opted for the replacement in store.
    The second macbook pro, I didn't have time to check if the system had the same issues as what I noticed on the first, as, as soon as I was home and booted the system up, I noticed multiple dead pixels. Great. Another drive to the store.
    Third time around I was informed that this would be my last in store replacement, as one customer can only exchange an item 3 times. 3rd time lucky I hear you say? Nope, not at all, I demanded that I see the system opened and turned on in store before I take it home, this was of course agreed on, but upon pressing the 'on' button, nothing happened, the apple would appear, but the machine wouldn't boot.
    Baffled by the problem, apple assistants offered me another replacement or a complete refund, I dubiously took the replacement, the manager came down to the store, shook my hand and apologised.
    I took the 4th machine home and started using it immediately, though to my dismay, it has the same video issues as the first machine! (even when typing this e-mail I'm noticing a distorting horizontal wave in the middle of the screen whilst scrolling)
    Apple care seem pretty ineffective in solving the problem(they seem to have tried everything), as do the apple store employees, who just hand me a new laptop and hope that that one works.
    Now after £100 in traveling fee's to and back from the store, and spending almost £2000 on a laptop, I really do expect it to be perfect. With the traveling fee's I've spent, I probably could have justified going for the 17" model.
    What can I do in this situation? as I really do not believe that another exchange (5th!!) will fix my issue, if needed I can explain the problem more thoroughly, and I even have videos taken on my iphone to prove its occurrence.

Since moving to mac 3 years ago, I've always been a die hard fan of apple products, but this incident has ultimately put me off paying the premium for the (as it appears) below premium quality, I just want to settle down with my new macbook pro and be happy in the fact I know I will be able to use it without having to hand it back a couple of days down the line.

I really hope you spend the time to read through this.
    Thanks, from a concerned customer,
    James Pears
    (purchased from the high cross in Leicester http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/highcross/)"

here are a couple of links of the video tearing that i've posted on my blog, hope this helps in showing my problem, and any solutions would be welcome, as replacing the machine in store seems to be useless.

http://jamespears.co.uk/post/823960118/one-more-with-scroll-distortion
    http://jamespears.co.uk/post/821334191/my-macbook-pros-display-video-tearing-taken-on

if these links aren't working, the issue tears videos, and makes them look as if parts of the video arent refreshing properly, giving 'jagged' instead of smooth playback (kind of like when you're sky/freeview/cable tv screws up)
    it also creates scrolling distortion, as if theres a wave or ripple in the middle of my screen, and when scrolling, this wave is stationary, but the text behind it looks distorted, and somewhat zoomed in.
    a reboot does solve the problem, but after some use, or after sleep, the problem persists.

thanks for any solutions,

Jimmy

2. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I'm not being funny but what are you expecting from Apple now ?

You say you don't think that replacing the machine again will fix your issue.

They can do nothing else but replace it or give you a full refund.

3. JAPears thread starter macrumors member

I want a macbook pro that I am happy with. I came from a 2008 model 17" which was totally fine, so i want to know the reason for this display defects?

4. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Well you are just going to keep having to get it replaced until you get one that you are happy with unless you want to be without your MBP for a bit and send it away for repair instead.

5. JAPears thread starter macrumors member

after seeing 4 machines with the same issues, is it not possible they have a dodgy batch?

6. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

That could be the case.

When I had mine replaced I was within the 14 days of buying and they sent me the new one out by courier and sent a courier to pick my broken one up but that one had something wrong with it too. So again they sent a new one out and a courier out again to pick up this one the third replacement I got was fine.

7. JAPears thread starter macrumors member

the store manager was shocked that i'd had so many problems, and told me this had never happened before, and that i was the most unlucky person in the UK. maybe paying the extra for a 17" might be a peace of mind for me

8. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Get the 17" you will not regret it. I got rid of both my 15" BTO machines as they had defects. My 17"s have been fine and so was my earlier one.

9. JAPears thread starter macrumors member

can anyone else shed any light on this issue?

10. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

I honestly don't see anything wrong in your videos. Looks like normal tearing I can see on all LCD panels.

11. menomano macrumors member

Could you test out the following?

Do you have the same problem scrolling when
    - scroll with the mouse wheel
    - scroll with the window bar
    - scroll with clicking on the arrows above/below the bar
    - scroll with the touchpad

Does it happen in Safari/Firefox/Chrome - test all 3

Which video card did you do the two tests on? Intel/Nvidia?
    do the tests on the other one too - use gfxcardstatus to force the card

12. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I am a little curious about the refresh problem. The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. There was an invisible line across my screen that refreshed slower than everything else or something. You could make it so that the line was almost visible by moving a window around in circles.

I just restarted my machine and it went away; no problems since.

13. JAPears thread starter macrumors member

yes to all of the above, its not just in browsers either, it happens on anything, folders, moving a window. everything, i've also tested both video cards, which leads me to believe it might be a software issue, though with clean installs on all the macs, its nothing i could have done wrong

14. JAPears thread starter macrumors member

same thing, it goes away after a restart, but after some use, it re-occurs

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I saw the videos from the OP and I DONT SEE THE PROBLEM, especially with the scroll distortion.

The tearing looks normal to me on all the macs I've owned. I wouldnt even sum that up as tearing, looks more like the refresh rate that one gets from TN panels.

16. JAPears thread starter macrumors member

trust me, theres a notable change from when its happening, and when its not, and it has never happened on my previous macbook

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I've owned the 17" i7 2.66GHz model (sold it last month) but used it since the first day it was released and I've noticed the so called tearing effect that your describing. I noticed that under the intel integrated GPU that it was more apparent concerning the lagginess of the window when it was dragged around or scrolling distortion in safari.

But then again my 2.8GHz macbook pro 17" had this as well as well as the 15" 2.8GHz model that I replaced the 17" after had it too.

Basically when you drag the window around its just showing the TN panels faults of making the picture "blurry" and making it seem like its distorted/tearing.

Comparing the tearing effect from a PC on video games looks totally different than what you are experiencing with the bad refresh rate on the TN panels of the mbp.

I also had the 24" LED Cinema display and I do remember when using that display with my macbook pro connected to it, the so called tearing effect was non existent as the 24" Cinema display has an H-IPS panel that showed none of the issues that TN panels have.

18. JAPears thread starter macrumors member

this may all be true, but with the problem i have, would the apple retail store really have given me 4 replacements is they knew the problem was normal?

19. JAPears thread starter macrumors member

my friends all have a unibody mac aswell, and they have never experienced the problems

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm looking at your videos again and I know exactly what your talking about. Even my 13" does that to an extent, its more of the TN panels fault rather than the macbook pro itself.

I've always noticed this in all 8 of the previous generation macbook pros that I've owned.

21. JAPears thread starter macrumors member

i do not have a video of video playback on the thread, but video playback is unwatchable when this occurs, until I reboot the machine, its not something I can live with as a creative

22. menomano macrumors member

The scrolling and moving a window around might not be the same problem. I remember that browsers built on Webkit had this problem with scrolling but not with all types of scrolling.

The tearing sounds like a vsync issue.

23. FireSokar macrumors regular

This i a video driver problem, I tested in both windows and mac. In snowleopard it does the same tearing. In windows the scrolling blur / tearing is gone. This is a vsync issue. You can try a different resolution and see if it is still present.

24. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

can someone explain what i'm looking for here? i don't see anything wrong...

25. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Look at the center of the screen as he moves the window - the text "tears". My 13" does this, drives me insane.