4th MBP replacement!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JPizzzle, Nov 16, 2008.

1. JPizzzle macrumors regular

Hey all,
    I am awaiting the arrival of my 4th mbp. The first two had cosmetic issues, and the third had dust under the screen. They let me hold on to the first with the credit capture process, but man I really hope it works out with number 4. The order for number 4 was placed on thursday and it surprisingly shipped on saturday. Hopefully it will be at my door tomorrow since the last 4 have arrived on the third day since shipment (including shipping day). I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

3. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I'm waiting for my 4th.

1st: Faulty superdrive
    2nd: lots of light leak from bottom of screen
    3rd: Extreme light leaks from left & bottom of screen, crooked F keys (I don't really care), extremely loose battery cover (Which I "fixed"). (It's basically returning because of the light leak, other 2 problems I would have kept).

If the 4th one isn't perfect, I'm going to be truly pissed. I already am but this is getting ridiculous! I can see the leaks on the MBP with the brightness at medium with a fully lit room!

BTW, I originally ordered on October 14th! The nearest Apple store is 5 hours away so I need to wait for the mail every damn time!

If this would be the PC world, I'd have changed companies a lllonggg time ago. I need OS X so I'll exchange it until I have a perfect one even if I get it in 2009.

4. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Hey I'm sending mine back because of a faulty superdrive. I'm curious though, what was wrong with yours? Mine takes a very long time to load dual layer dvds and sometimes it won't load the disc. I can try the same disc 4 times and 2 out 4 times it will load. The other times it'll just spit it out. I have another laptop and 2 external drives. All three devices read the discs without a hitch so it can't be my discs. It burns dual layer dvds just fine and the one dual layer disc I burned gets read just fine as well.

I called apple technical support and they said the drive was faulty and to ask amazon for a replacement. So I'm in the process of doing that. Oh yeah, whenever the mbp has a hard time reading a disc it'll play a 3 tone musical beep. No idea what that means.

5. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

It would block me from putting discs in the drive. I would have to put an angle on it to get it in. It would be random. 3 or 4 tries to get a disc in. The drive must have been misaligned internally.

6. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Do you have a picture of the dust under the screen?

7. robby818 macrumors 6502a

My MBP also had a problem with the superdrive. It would not recognize the restore DVD. No booting from that particular DVD (a retail elopard disc would boot but not install) and the DVD would not even mount in Leopard. I ordered two MBPs so I was able to eliminate a bad disc. I'm glad I decided to re-install the OS because it allowed me to discover the problem now rather than some time in the future. I may not have uncovered it because other discs (Office 2007, Photoshop, movies) worked fine.