4th of 5th gen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jojoba, Sep 27, 2012.

1. jojoba macrumors 68000

I'm looking to get an iPod Touch with 32GB storage. My usage will be:

- listening to music and pod casts
    - some web browsing and emailing
    - occasionally watching a movie
    - and syncing a few notes and docs from my iPad and mac

Is there any reason why I should spend the extra money on the 5th gen?

2. ktsui01 macrumors newbie

Yes, spend the extra $50 and get the new 5th Gen iPod Touch.

Think about it like this, in a year, iOS7 will release and Apple will most likely cut off support for the 4th Gen Touch. The A4 chip in the 4th gen is really outdated now, and the lack of RAM means it'll run slower with lag.

For an extra $50, it's worth it for the 4" screen, A5 chip, and an increase in RAM. Everything will run smoother and you know you're guaranteed to get updates for the next 2 years at least.

3. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, that all sounded pretty convincing. 5gen it is, then.

4. Thetonyk123, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

For the means you have listed you could just get a 16gb iPod touch 4 for $200 and save $100

-Music and podcasts will be supported as long as iTunes sells music.
    -Web browsing is pretty fast on the iPod touch 4, so is email. I have no problem with mine.
    -Movies, with the 3.5 inch retina display its fine to watch movies on it. Only get the 5th gen if you want to watch it in a bigger screen.
    -Syncing Documents will easily be done with the iPod touch 4.

Really you shouldn't spend $300 on the new iPod touch when for what your doing the iPod touch 4 will do fine. And you can get some nice accessories from that $100 saved.

Also side note, games work fine on my iPod. Even Real Racing 2 works great on it. No crashes from my device. You didn't list camera so I assume you won't mind the iPod touch 4's horrible camera.

Only reason to get 5th gen is... Faster Processor (A4 still does fine to), Siri (Not needed for your needs), more iOS 6 features (Like 3D maps, again not needed from you), a new design, 5MP camera (You don't say anything about taking pictures so its not needed), and a silly loop thing :p.

Overall I recommend the iPod touch 4 for your needs. Save that $100!!

----------

I don't think the OP really needs iOS 7 for his needs. I also don't think that for what he is doing the A5 chip and more RAM will make much of a difference.

AND the iPod touch 4 16gb is only $200. :D

EDIT: Disregard this if you are getting the 32gig model.

5. ktsui01 macrumors newbie

The OP says he needs 32GB of space tho. If you're comparing the 4th Gen 32GB vs the 5th Gen 32GB, and the difference is only $50...he might as well spend the extra $50 for the A5 processor, 512 RAM, 4" Screen.

The 4th Gen iPod is already 2 years old, mind you they didnt refresh the iPod Touch last year. 256 RAM is not enough, I get frustrated using my iPod Touch now compared to my iPhone 4. 512 RAM on the 5th Gen will be speedy along with the A5 chip.

Plus having the security that your device will continue to be supported next year is a good thing. The 4th Gen will most likely be dropped from future support soon

6. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Ah I see the 32gb now xD

Anyways if he needs 32gb then get the 5th generation.

Also 256mb of RAM is fine for me.. except the app store.

7. Slinkwyde, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

Slinkwyde macrumors regular

You say you'll watch the occasional movie. The 5th gen's screen has a 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio, which is better for watching video without black bars. On a small display, every little bit helps. It's also a higher quality display: better viewing angle and color gamut.

As for RAM, the UNO card game crashes whenever I try to start it while listening to an audio podcast in Instacast, even after a reboot. It's ridiculous. The 512MB of RAM in the 5th gen should make a huge difference, and the dual core A5 should help a bit too.

The 5th gen also supports 5Ghz WiFi, which usually has less interference. That requires a dual-band router, but when available it's helpful in areas with crowded 2.4GHz (apartments, townhouses, universities, coffee shops, hotels, etc).

8. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Hmm weird I only crash on the App Store. Never in games. Except the occasional buggy game :p

9. Slinkwyde macrumors regular

My iPod never has more than 16MB free at any given moment, and it's not rare for it to get down to single digits. Apps crash a lot and it can get very sluggish. I know iPhone 4 owners (512MB) who often have more RAM free than I have total. That's a huge difference in performance.

10. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Wow that's sad :( I have about 30mb free with no apps open (which is still worse then iOS 5) but it works smooth as butter except the app
    Store

11. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'm pretty decided on the 5th gen now. I forgot to mention it in the OP, but the better camera would definitely be a bonus.

12. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Hmm, spambots are getting stranger and stranger..

To the op, yep definitely get the 5!
    It is thinner, lighter, much faster, has a bigger better screen, will be supported longer, and has a far far better camera.. to name but a few reasons.

I can't imagine that you will regret spending the extra 50 bucks or so.. you get a lot for the money.

13. Ozonekill macrumors newbie

The 4th gen will be 2 years old when the 5 comes out. Which means you will be dead to apple. I'm upgrading to the 5 just for the better camera. The one on the 4 is .7 mp. Pretty crappy.

14. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

15. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I think the bigger question is who would pay $149 for the new nano when Apple is selling refurbed iPod Touch 4th gens for $149. I guess some absolutely need the smaller form factor for running or the extra 8gb for more music, but for me, for what you're getting it just doesn't make much sense.

16. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I'm looking at refurb 4th gens for by little boys for christmas... They're obsessed with my iPad 3 and iPhone 4(sold). £129 seems like good value. Getting them the 5th gen would be like overkill for their needs... And for that kind of money I would rather spend a little extra for iPads instead

17. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

If one is buying it solely play music, then the new nano trumps the refurbished 4th gen 8GB iPod touch. If one is buying it solely to run iOS and iOS apps, then the refurbished 4th Gen 8GB iPod touch trumps the new nano. If the prospective customer already has an iPhone, then, even if the touch does more, the new nano makes more sense.

18. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I'm not really sure how it makes more sense. You get iCloud music storage, acccess to the iTunes store, access to music and radio apps. I don't really see the nano trumping it at all unless the person absolutely insists on 8gb more of local storage. I got my Touch solely for music and music/radio apps. I didn't go with the nano for all of the reasons I just mentioned.

19. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, I'm not really into the nano, partially just because I'd like more storage but also because I think it looks weird :D I was considering the classic at some point and still haven't completely removed it from my mind. But I'm pretty set on the touch 5th gen now - but I've decided to wait until my December salary (which is a bit larger than the other ones) before I order. Or I might set it up as a Christmas present.

20. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

If one is solely using it to store music, then 16GB is better than 8GB. Plain and simple. If one already has an iPhone for the purposes you mentioned above and this is a secondary player, again, then 16GB is better than 8GB. iCloud music storage costs $25/year and on an iPod touch, that only works where there is WiFi. If you have a 12GB music library, that's spending more money to have WiFi access to that additional 4GB. Again, if the sole purpose is music, then that's stupid, in which, again, the new nano makes more sense.

If any function of iOS is more important, then obviously the refurbished 4th gen 8GB touch trumps. That's been my point all along.

21. myrtlebee, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I disagree. There are more music features on the touch, including access to the iTunes store in which you can browse and download new music (and videos) without having to fart with a computer. Again, it also includes access to music and radio apps. Which, again, for me made the difference. Also, Apple provides a free 5gb of iCloud storage. You can think what you want, but in my opinion, the Touch is not only superior in general, but it's also superior for music. That's really all I have to say on this topic, so, I'm done with the conversation.

22. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

The 5GB of iCloud storage has nothing to do with Music. With 8GB of Music, you will inevitably be farting with a computer as on-device management with music, even with iTunes Match isn't anywhere near as quick and convenient as using iTunes at a computer to just manage it like any old iPod. By the way, if you'd prefer to agree to disagree, there are much more mature ways of going about it.

23. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I gave you fact based rebuttals to your points to support my opinions. I have decided to end the conversation because I literally have nothing else to add and you seem to be getting too heated for something I care very little about. Nothing immature there. This really is my last post. You're welcome to get in the last word- just know I have no intention of responding.

24. Yebubbleman, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I have no problem with you having a differing opinion, nor do I have a problem with you supporting that opinion with facts. But when you negate my own opinion with incorrect facts that demonstrate that you aren't even reading my opinion, let alone disagreeing with it with correct facts, AND THEN you say "well, I'm done with this conversation" that I do have a problem with, because it displays a lack of maturity in addition to poor skill in what you're talking about. Again, I'm fine to agree to disagree, but support your argument better, and exit more gracefully so that asshats like me have no reason to complain. That will go a long way on here.

Case in point: 5GB of iCloud storage has nothing to do with music. Managing Music with iTunes Match costs $25 more per year than simply connecting an iPod to iTunes with a cable. It's also, and believe me, I know this one from personal experience, more annoying. Even if these weren't the case, you are still limited to 8GB of capacity on the refurbished 8GB touch and you can only change up the contents of your iPod via iTunes Match when connected via WiFi. My original assertion was that if playing back music stored on an iTunes library was the only objective of such an iPod, that the nano would be a better buy due to the doubled capacity. Telling me that the touch has all of these extra features that have little to do with simply playing back music stored on an iTunes library, doesn't negate what I said and only adds pointless fluff to whatever counter-argument you are trying to make.

If your point was that the 8GB iPod touch was a much more fully-featured device than the new Nanos then I'd handily agree with you. But that's not the discussion.

25. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

I just passed on a REALLY good deal for a 4gen 64gb. It was selling for a really low price (seemingly for no reason other than that the guy had underestimated what he could get) - he was upping the price as I was talking to him and I got a bit uncertain and passed - but it hindsight I should have just taken it because it was still a bargain at the increased price he suggested.

Oh well. 5gen it is then, once I get a bit more saved up :eek::D