Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanBurns91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
West Midlands, England
I'm currently booking in my 4th trip back to see a genius, the QC on the iPhone 5 has really really disappointed me.
My first iPhone had scuffing issues and they gave me a new one which I thought was fair
The replacement then had an issue that when I would press against the screen it would make a clicking noise, as if I was pressing a button (the genius claimed she had never seen this before and gave me my current phone)
Yet again, I have an issue with dead pixels on the screen!
Is there any other way I can get this fixed? I'm fed up of travelling to the store and looking like a serial exchanger. I don't have AppleCare and I live in the uk

Thanks

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
SOLUTION: Buy a Galaxy S III or Note 2 or wait for the S4. The iPhone 5 has way too many QC problems. Most people don't see them or ignore them.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I'm currently booking in my 4th trip back to see a genius, the QC on the iPhone 5 has really really disappointed me.
My first iPhone had scuffing issues and they gave me a new one which I thought was fair
The replacement then had an issue that when I would press against the screen it would make a clicking noise, as if I was pressing a button (the genius claimed she had never seen this before and gave me my current phone)
Is there any other way I can get this fixed? I'm fed up of travelling to the store and looking like a serial exchanger. I don't have AppleCare and I live in the uk

Thanks

Don't leave the store until your satisfied. Open the phone while there, and play with it until you are confident the phone is ok.

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI

Thanks

Take it out of the box at the store and inspect the entire thing up and down.

Apple's products are good, but we all have run into our bad box that we keep drawing from.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Don't leave the store until your satisfied. Open the phone while there, and play with it until you are confident the phone is ok.

Not true. Back in November I did exactly this. I think they let me get through at least 5 phones before saying no more. All had various issues from:

rattling sleep wake buttons
Crooked home buttons
Scuffs
Clicking screens
Dust in camera lens

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006

What exactly are you wanting Apple to do? Send Tim Cook personally to your door with a replacement iPhone?

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
SOLUTION: Buy a Galaxy S III or Note 2 or wait for the S4. The iPhone 5 has way too many QC problems. Most people don't see them or ignore them.

Look at it this way. If he didn't have an iPhone, he'd have to ship out the phone first, and wait over a week (without a phone) to get a replacement. If they determine the phone was broken not because of a fault in the phone, but because he dropped it, they will charge him the full *unlocked* price of the phone. At least that's how it has worked for everyone I know who has replaced an Android phone.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
What exactly are you wanting Apple to do? Send Tim Cook personally to your door with a replacement iPhone?

He wants a phone that doesn't have quality control issues, that's what he wants Apple to give him!

Unfortunately, he's going to be there all day because all of their phones have issues. Most people just don't notice. I mean most people don't freak out about a small, yet noticeable speck of dust in the camera lens?

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Not true. Back in November I did exactly this. I think they let me get through at least 5 phones before saying no more. All had various issues from:

rattling sleep wake buttons
Crooked home buttons
Scuffs
Clicking screens
Dust in camera lens

Then they have to give you your money back, and you can turn around and buy a NEW (not refurbished) one on the spot.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Look at it this way. If he didn't have an iPhone, he'd have to ship out the phone first, and wait over a week (without a phone) to get a replacement. If they determine the phone was broken not because of a fault in the phone, but because he dropped it, they will charge him the full *unlocked* price of the phone. At least that's how it has worked for everyone I know who has replaced an Android phone.

True, and a downside of Android.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I say don't settle until you get what you paid for and are happy with the final product. Assuming, of course, you aren't being overtly OCD or unreasonable in your expectations. I went through several white box replacements that all showed up looking like garbage. I finally got Apple to send me a brand new, sealed retail box. If it helps I e-mailed Apple Customer Relations, who were great about the whole thing.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I feel you should get a phone without issues but maybe your expectations are a bit high?

You buy a new car, will they let you return it 5 times for a new car because you're not satisfied with something? As one spastic poster wrote you'll find something with ANY phone, iPhone or not....heck you can most likely find an issue with ANYTHING you buy .

DanBurns91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
West Midlands, England
I feel you should get a phone without issues but maybe your expectations are a bit high?

You buy a new car, will they let you return it 5 times for a new car because you're not satisfied with something? As one spastic poster wrote you'll find something with ANY phone, iPhone or not....heck you can most likely find an issue with ANYTHING you buy .

I can handle something that would be classed as a small annoyance but a clicking screen and dead pixels are a no no. Would you expect to buy a new car and the dash wasn't working? Or the something clicked all the time that shouldn't?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

I have a perfect i5. QC is much better then you think

----------

He wants a phone that doesn't have quality control issues, that's what he wants Apple to give him!

Unfortunately, he's going to be there all day because all of their phones have issues. Most people just don't notice. I mean most people don't freak out about a small, yet noticeable speck of dust in the camera lens?

He had a flawless iPhone 5 the first one he was given.. Scuffing issues is entirely on the owner the Genius should of never even replaced your first i5 because of nonsense "scuffing". OP's lucky the Genius was nice enough to replace his iPhone he damaged himself.

----------

Sorry when i had my GS3 it had a fault of problems, unfourtnetly i couldnt return it back because it was "within spec"... I didnt know a creaky back, loose volume buttons, light leakage through the home button was within spec..Apple's QC is still much better then most companies nowadays

DanBurns91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
West Midlands, England
I have a perfect i5. QC is much better then you think

----------

He had a flawless iPhone 5 the first one he was given.. Scuffing issues is entirely on the owner the Genius should of never even replaced your first i5 because of nonsense "scuffing". OP's lucky the Genius was nice enough to replace his iPhone he damaged himself.

----------

Sorry when i had my GS3 it had a fault of problems, unfourtnetly i couldnt return it back because it was "within spec"... I didnt know a creaky back, loose volume buttons, light leakage through the home button was within spec..Apple's QC is still much better then most companies nowadays

Scuffing right out the box isn't my or any other owners fault. I'm sure some people have tried milking it but for the traveling to the store, it certainly isn't worth it for me.

----------

I say don't settle until you get what you paid for and are happy with the final product. Assuming, of course, you aren't being overtly OCD or unreasonable in your expectations. I went through several white box replacements that all showed up looking like garbage. I finally got Apple to send me a brand new, sealed retail box. If it helps I e-mailed Apple Customer Relations, who were great about the whole thing.

I can't seem to find the email address, Would you mind giving it me?

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I used tcook@apple.com. It's essentially his Customer Relations team. Obviously Mr. Cook may not respond personally, but someone from his office in San Francisco should. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.