4vdc/1/40000003: Videocontroller with 8600GT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gogot, Sep 3, 2009.

1. gogot macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I tried doing some search in the forums but could not find any cases close to mine. I have a MBP Santa Rosa 2.0 GHz, 2Gb Ram, 128MB 8600GT.
    Here's the story:
    1) I was having some issues with my graphics card - 8600GT. It's been 'lagging' badly in games which it was previously running without any probs. I tried memtest, cputest, disk warrior stuff and pretty sure it was a prob with the graphics card.
    2) I went to an Apple Store and they supposedly stress tested the machine. They found nothing.
    3) I got the machine back and did the AHT and got the error 4vdc/1/40000003: Videocontroller
    4) Took it back to the apple store and the genius said this test was 'irrelevant' and he started saying all this bs about graphics card being dependent on software, speed steps down, hardware getting too old (my @sss). Anyway, he took the machine in to 'test' it again. I'll have to pay the $100 fee again for the testing.
    5) Note that I'm however not having any of the defects mentioned by NVidia and other users i.e distortions, blank screens, kernel panics.

Do you guys think it is an issue with the faulty 8600GT GPU and does it come under the extended warranty thing? What should I do? I'm sure he'll get back to me saying no problem was found. It sucks having a 3K machine which cannot play a single game.
    Any help or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks:confused:

2. gogot thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thx u guys for ur advice (or not)

just got a call from the genius s@#$3kers

they said it was a problem with the logic board and replacing it would cost $2260. That's almost the price of the mbp :mad:

and what's with the f@#$# AHT which gives this stupid mistake. If this shitta can't help in pin pointing the fault what the hell is its use.

Screw Apple and their lame nvidia mbp... just wanted to share the love

Disappointed mac fan boi :(

3. JustDom89 macrumors member

JustDom89

YEAH, they're making me pissed also!!! :mad:

Hope something works out for you

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Is this at an Apple store? If so, why are you paying a fee? And by the looks of the AHT, I'd say it's the GPU too. Try going elsewhere.