5.0.1 - Battery Life Now FANTASTIC!

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
I wanted to share that on the Series 4, 44mm - the battery life seems to be remarkably better under 5.0.1. It was good on 5, but just amazing on 5.0.1.

I use the watch on WiFi/LTE and rarely directly connected to the phone over Bluetooth and with this update the battery drain is no longer a concern. I’m not sure if they optimized the WiFi chip or did something else, but all I can say is yes you can now use the watch away from your phone the entire day (WiFi most of the day) - and get along just fine.

Will be doing further tests to see, but so far so good. A bright future ahead for the phone free watch user.

Reactions: Kevinfinity

TwiceNightly

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
I wanted to share that on the Series 4, 44mm - the battery life seems to be remarkably better under 5.0.1. It was good on 5, but just amazing on 5.0.1.

I use the watch on WiFi/LTE and rarely directly connected to the phone over Bluetooth and with this update the battery drain is no longer a concern. I’m not sure if they optimized the WiFi chip or did something else, but all I can say is yes you can now use the watch away from your phone the entire day (WiFi most of the day) - and get along just fine.

Will be doing further tests to see, but so far so good. A bright future ahead for the phone free watch user.

Wow I just got my first LTE watch (was just standard before) and I never knew it would last that long away from the phone!

Do you have workout auto detect on? Any other things you’ve turned off to get that kind of battery life?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Wow I just got my first LTE watch (was just standard before) and I never knew it would last that long away from the phone!

Do you have workout auto detect on? Any other things you’ve turned off to get that kind of battery life?
No - all the standard stuff is on (no fall detection on) - I haven’t tried to see how far going on LTE only would get me. Just that if you are in a situation where you are on WiFi at work all day and then are out and about at night on LTE I would think for most people you’d have no issues with battery life - the WiFi radios are really great for battery performance.

I lost about 10 percent in the morning from my morning run, but tend to throw it on the charger while getting ready to head out the door again at 100 percent.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
I usually get to updating eventually , major releases , but sounds like this point one release is worthy?

desistyle

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Just got my 40MM series 4 on Saturday.

Usage: 1 hour, 55 minutes
Standby: 7 hours, 18 minutes.

Sitting at 71%, is this good or bad? Seems poor compared to what other folks are experiencing.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
Just got my 40MM series 4 on Saturday.

Usage: 1 hour, 55 minutes
Standby: 7 hours, 18 minutes.

Sitting at 71%, is this good or bad? Seems poor compared to what other folks are experiencing.
5.0 or 5.0.1?

Takes a little to settle

Background app refresh drains too

Good lord that 5.0.1 happened in the blink of an eye ... I may no longer have to dread update times?

Last edited:

desistyle

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
5.0 or 5.0.1?

Takes a little to settle

Background app refresh drains too

Good lord that 5.0.1 happened in the blink of an eye ... I may no longer have to dread update times?

Background app refresh is off, raise to wake off, etc

steelo3232

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
It was terrible before the update and it’s terrible now. If I leave my phone at home and use series 4 to respond to text and take a couple calls and listen to a little music and work out it’s damn near toast by 10:30 pm series three would do this work load and go until almost five the following day....

edhchoe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
At the end of 8hour shift at work my battery was down to 35%.
I never had the battery go that low on my AW3.
Being 2mm larger I expected 40mm to last longer than the 38mm with a bigger battery.
I was wrong.

Renjo2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
AZ
At the end of 8hour shift at work my battery was down to 35%.
I never had the battery go that low on my AW3.
Being 2mm larger I expected 40mm to last longer than the 38mm with a bigger battery.
I was wrong.
Try turning off the wifi if you’re subscribe to LTE.My regular SS watch 4 os 5.0: 100% at 9am then 11 hours later at 8pm it is still 84%. Everything is on LTE,background app,raise to wake,Bluetooth etc. Only off is the wifi.

edhchoe

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Try turning off the wifi if you’re subscribe to LTE.My regular SS watch 4 os 5.0: 100% at 9am then 11 hours later at 8pm it is still 84%. Everything is on LTE,background app,raise to wake,Bluetooth etc. Only off is the wifi.
Mine is GPS only. That is incredible that your went down less than 20% on LTE. When I had AW3 LTE, it would last only 4 hours on LTE.

nlkccom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
About 15 hours off the charger this morning, with 3 hrs usage, and battery level is at 65% now.

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
Battery life has been fantastic so fast on the S4. It's 1:40 now in Hong Kong and I have 88% battery left.

vintagekeys

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2018
Hong Kong
I think there are a few factors being overlooked here that determines the battery life being "FANTASTIC"
I think most people stating its fantastic are on GPS only, if you run the watch of LTE all day you probably have a very different experience.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
I was thinking about buying the Nike edition model but was worried about LTE battery life

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
I think there are a few factors being overlooked here that determines the battery life being "FANTASTIC"
I think most people stating its fantastic are on GPS only, if you run the watch of LTE all day you probably have a very different experience.
The thread was created from a perspective of being on WiFi most of the day and using LTE at lunch time and running around at night away from the phone - so no I’m impressed with the WiFi/LTE combo for battery life. I had the Series 3 and am impressed with its performance so far. The Series 3 was also rather impressive, but my frustration with the LTE radio not performing well enough had me not depending on it like I do the Series 4.

nlkccom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
About 15 hours off the charger this morning, with 3 hrs usage, and battery level is at 65% now.
Didn’t charge my watch last night, and as of now, it got 1 day 13 hours standby, and 5.5 hrs usage, with about 20% battery level left. I’m not using the LTE service. Just WiFi.

Jakeycov

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Not sure what is happening with ios5.0.1, but my battery life is 12% already and it's only 4pm. Restart and charge I think and see what happens tomorrow. It had been amazing before the update.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Woke up yesterday at 6:30am with my S4 at 95%, did a ~1 hour workout (with my phone on me) and had minimal usage otherwise, background app refresh off most apps, I was at 48% by 10pm. Usage says I had just under 4 hours, but there's no possible way I used it that much.

Watch was at 92% when I woke up the other morning.

srahman321

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2018
Is there a way to permanently turn the wi-fi off? Mine turns back on often, and I've noticed it does drain the battery quicker

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Is there a way to permanently turn the wi-fi off? Mine turns back on often, and I've noticed it does drain the battery quicker
I actually think what that button does is just disconnect you from Wi-Fi - I’m not sure it actually turns off the chip ... no way that I know of to disable WiFi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.