5.0.1 does it change the baseband if you do it ota

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jeans94621, Nov 10, 2011.

1. jeans94621 macrumors regular

jeans94621

I am using a gevey sim with an iphone 4 I have updated to 5.0 but I am wondering if the baseband changes when you update ota. Or should I update with snowbreeze.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you updated to 5.0 it's already to late. so it really doesn't matter. and 5.0 should be untethered soon 5.0.1 who knows..

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Most likely it does update the bb.
    But if you care about your unlock I wouldnt risk it or you'd be stuck.

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

If I had an unlock I depended on I will never upgrade, too much of a risk.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

there are ways to preserve baseband Redsnow,Sn0wBreeze and Pwnagetools all have ways.. just be careful because there is no going back.. ;)

6. jeans94621 thread starter macrumors regular

jeans94621

I preserved my baseband when I upgraded to 5.0 but just curious could I do an ota update and continue to preserve it.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Just follow the advice of the people who know best: both MuscleNerd and pod2g have said that nobody who unlocks should update to 5.0.1 at this time. They'll let you know when it's safe to do so.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dont do it yet, wait for confirmation or you'd be stuck with a phone that you cannot use as a phone.
    Or rush into it and then find out the hard way.
    Up to you.

9. psejcf macrumors member

Stay on iOS 5.0 if you're interested in an untethered jailbreak

To the OP: Looks like some of the responders didn't really understand your question and have mixed up Gevey with using Ultrasn0w for unlocking the phone. I do not know if OTA would end up updating the baseband, and would like to know too (for the future).

However, if you're interested in getting an untethered jailbreak, you'd be better off staying on iOS 5.0. @pod2g (Twitter) has confirmed that there is a way to get to an untethered jailbreak on iOS 5.0, but that it will take time (as it always is with all jailbreaks). @pod2g has stated that a code signing security hole discovered and reported by Charlie Miller "can simplify exploits dramatically" to implement an untethered jailbreak. Apple closed that code signing security hole in iOS 5.0.1.

The bug that @pod2g is working on for the untethered jailbreak still seems to be around in iOS 5.0.1. Based on @pod2g's Twitter updates, it looks like he may be better off focusing on using the vulnerability already available in iOS 5.0 (but closed in 5.0.1).

See:
    https://twitter.com/#!/pod2g/status/134172211761262592
    https://support.apple.com/kb/HT5052

10. jeans94621 thread starter macrumors regular

jeans94621

Thanks for the Info. Wouldn't it be great if we could use the ota and keep our baseband. My battery is not the worse in the world but if 5.0.1 could take it back to what it was before 5.0 that would be great. I have a Mophie case so I am not that worried.

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Updating to 5.0.1 on iTunes over OTA would result in the same software and all other functionality regardless of method used. Otherwise it would create massive headaches for Apple.

Since updating to 5.0 upgrades the baseband, I would assume 5.0.1 would as well, if you preserved your 4.X.X baseband while upgrading to 5.0 prior.

12. cgavula macrumors newbie

I was wondering the same thing. I used RedSn0w to preserve the old 4.10.01 baseband when I moved to 5.0, but it didn't work with 5.0.1 despite what the postings say. I'm not looking to jb or use ultraslow to unlock, I simply want to preserve my current baseband (4.10.01).

The OTA update is really pretty small. I thought it might "assume" you didn't need the baseband updated since you would already be on 5.0 in order to even use the OTA update and I haven't heard of any baseband difference between 5.0 and 5.0.1. After all, the OTA is really only a delta update instead of a full firmware update (like you usually get when you update via iTunes).

I haven't seen anyone post a definitive answer yet. I've avoided testing it myself since I use a Gevey and want to stay on baseband 4.10.01. Hopefully someone will be in a good position to test this at some point and let us know!

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

no

14. TC25 macrumors 68020

There is no difference in the results between upgrading via iTunes and OTA. If there were, why would Apple offer OTA?:confused:

15. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Wouldn't it be great if all iPhones are unlock. Or we can jailbreak the second Apple releases a new update.

Be realistic.

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

me I'd rather win the lottery and live rich ever after! Boy that be great!