5.0 ghz Router Not Working With iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DisneyRicky, Dec 27, 2010.

1. DisneyRicky macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

Hello Everybody,

Today I got a wireless router that broadcasts in 5.0ghz frequency. The problem is my iMac doesn't recognize it!

I am using an iMac (got it August, 2008 [Silver Intel]) It is running Snow Leopard 10.6.5

~DisneyRicky

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What do you mean it doesn't recognize "it" ? Have you configured your router properly? Is the SSID broadcasting? Is it connecting to the internet? Can you see the router at all from your computer? Is your router within range of your computer?

3. DisneyRicky thread starter macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

It doesn't show up on the list under networks, I can see my neighbors, but not my own. I can connect to it through my MacBook Pro from the same location. Is there not a 5.0 ghz compatible card in my iMac?

My iPad, iPod Touch 4g and MacBook Pro all connect and can browse perfectly.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Your iMac is capable of connecting to 802.11n/5 GHz networks, but your iPod touch is not. I am skeptical of your claim that it is a 5 GHz network only.

5. DisneyRicky thread starter macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

My router broadcasts in both 2.4 and 5.0. The reason I changed was because 2.4 get's messed up because of a microwave. So now I want 5.0 to always be what I'm on, so I don't get kicked off...