5.0......Wat to Expect?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Blakjack, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

iPad 2 hasn't even hit he scene and I know there is barely a rumor about iPhone 5 out yet, but the truth is HONEYCOMB whether it's user friendly or not does LOOK nice.

We know Apple doesn't let others effect their own actions, but at some point apple will have to have to bring an overhauled UI to the table, Or maybe not?They kind of did something with 4.2, but at the end of the day, 4.2 just looks like post 4.2.

We know the little squares aren't going anywhere. Those are our apps. They are here to stay. I personally have no problem with them.

But that darn Search page is just begging for attention.

Will 5.0 look different?
    Will the search page finally get bedazzled?
    What about the notification system?
    Widgets? Or are those just out of the question?
    App interaction?

How much does Apple have to do to keep it's enthusiast interested? Like I said, I understand that HONEYCOMB hasn't even been touched yet for real, but it does a great job at making your mind wonder what things Apple could bring to the table.

For me this exciting as heck. The XOOM tablet really makes me think Apple has to do something different. COMPETITION is GOOD. I hope the XOOM stands up to what motorola wants us to believe.

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Widgets on a customisable home screen would be a major interest to many.

So you can make your home screen your own. Everyone would have different things that they want to have there.

As has been shown on the honeycomb demo, perhaps a little email widget to see a minimised list of new mail, without having to run the main email app.

A small twitter/facebook widget to see if anything has been happening without having to run the whole program.

The whole thing of run a full screen program to find out something, close that, run another full screen program to check that out, close that, run yet another full screen program...............

I think this would be the biggest change they could make. So by just picking your iPad up and looking at YOUR OWN PERSONAL home screen, set up BY YOU could instantly show you exactly what's happening, without having to enter into any main full screen apps.

It could even imagine this on a stand on someone's desk, so they could just glance up and in a second see if anything needs to be looked, at.

In a little way along the same concept as Msoft with their live tiles (though I don't want tiles!) you look at the device, and on this 1 page you see everything at one glance that you need to.

Plus, people love to customise things and make desktops their own, with their own wallpaper and their own little things to tell them what they want.

I don't expect Apple will do this. Not yet anyway, I expect it will be exactly the same. Static background with larger icons and that's it.

3. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

Sounds great and I agree with your opinion that apple won't implement this. But they need to fix up the notification system, find it so slow

4. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

I agree with all of this and really hope they get some sort of widget based home screen soon. Also allowing user customization with Themes would be great too. That along with better notification handling and I am good for a couple model cycles.

Getting my first iPad with the second model. Really looking forward to the updates they have made.

5. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

The main two things I would like to see are Lock-Screen Widgets (especially on iPad) and an improved notification system.

I think another good question is to what extent the iPad will reflect the 5.0 features. When the iPad 1 was announced, it had an upgraded OS (3.2) that reflected coming changes to 4.0 that summer (e.g. Home Screen Backgrounds). Will the iPad 2 come with a different OS (4.3?) with new features? Or will we have to wait till Summer for the OS Upgrade.

6. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Widgets and notifications are all they really "need" to do. Right now they have tablets which basically have no information on them, that needs to change... whether it be widgets or something else.

7. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I would love little Widgets especially on my iPhone.

Just a tiny Widget to let me know I have email without having to unlock it, and check that way.

And a place where I can see ALL my notifications like Android does.

8. Synthion macrumors regular

Widgets? No. Live-updating icons? (WP7 style) Maybe. Frankly, it is not :apple:-y to do something that is so close to a windows desktop. I think many jailbreak-only features WILL come, like icon resizing, the choice to lock apps to the grid, and maybe even 3g Facetime.:rolleyes: New interface controls, and something crazy apple will think of.;) They have to stand out, but they can't lose what makes them iOS.

9. aduteau macrumors 6502a

- no new UI changes
    - better airplay (lets 3rd party apps airplay videos)
    - better airprint ( has more printers added )
    - better game center integration ( allows chating with friends, better way to find friends)

- Faster app switching
    - imovies comes to the ipad (but not part of iOS 5 ... I just had to say it lol )
    - iOS now supports Dual core processors
    - More API's for DEV

In all just to have 3rd party app airplay videos is a feature I want soooooo bad right now :)
    Anything I am missing in the list ?

10. matt90036 macrumors regular

Sooner or later iPads will have to transform from consumption device to fully featured tablet computers. At least this is where the current tablet tablet devices are heading. That's why I got myself really interested into playbook and will be my iPad replacement unless iPad2 is going to abandon the idea of being a "consumption device."

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The playbook is a really neat tablet. The only problem is I don't really like any current blackberry RIM has to offer and some playbook features, such as email and calendar, require a blackberry to do.

12. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I'm quite confident a better notification system will be part of 5.0 because so many people request it. And that's the only thing I'm missing at the moment.

But I'm pretty sure Apple has a few goodies up their sleeve.

13. PhoneI macrumors 65816

So in your view the playbook is a "fully featured" tablet even though it will not have a standalone calendar or email client? In other words, without a blackberry phone to pair with your "fully featured" tablet, you wont be able to read your email.

14. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

-personalize home screen like android, (multiple screens)
    -widgets like Mac OS X widget screen, (clock, weather, stocks, apps)
    -better notification system like blackberry (the black bar on top could be used a lot, like giving us email alert, messages, missed calls, IM's) (especially for iPad with that huge space)
    -voice command and speak to text capabilities like android 2.2
    -google navigation or some preloaded GPS app
    -3D capabilities?:p (overrated I know)

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

I'll let you know what 5.0 includes when it's released :p

I think Apple is really trying to make a cloud for themselves where all Apple devices will work flawlessly with one another. AirPlay is a start. I'm sure 5.0 will add more revolutionary ideas.

16. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Pull your socks up Apple

Apple has their work cut out for themselves going by what android honeycomb has to offer.

We need a dedicated home screen with status apps like mail, contacts, calendars etc. App icons don't cut it any more.

And the multitasking with previews of the screen are cool too
    see vid on android:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgmN8uKUgIg

aussie_geek

17. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Yeah, i'm expecting somethng big in terms of UI with iOS 5. The grid look is getting dated and it's just not appropriate for the iPad's large screen real estate.

18. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

I really think people are missing the point here. Yeah, Honeycomb looks nice as does the Playbook but those crying Apple MUST change or get destroyed seem to be over-reacting.

Look at the iPhone, it's been fighting Android phones with all the wizz bang features for over a year now and it's selling more units than ever before. Why? Because there are a LOT of people out there that value design, simplicity and ease-of-use (plus the usual list of features like the App Store) over the more feature-rich but complicated interfaces of Android. Yes, Android devices are winning the volume sold battle but that is ALWAYS going to happen. You have a single company making both hardware and software in terms of iOS devices versus an entire market sector churning out dozens if not hundreds of devices of varying quality at every price point you can imagine. Of COURSE Apple's going to loose the volume race and tablets will be no different. What's key for Apple is profit margain and they're quite happy to play in the top end while everyone else races to the bottom. Apple will stick to their own principles until the market tells them they need to change and there isn't the slightest sign that that's the case at the moment.

Now with that said I could see changes for iOS 5, though not for the reasons being given here. Look at the upcoming tablets announced at CES and there's one big thing that jumps out - they're all running dual core processors. I honestly think that's key and something Apple's been waiting for. They've already got a good multi-threading API on OS X and, from what I understand, iOS is pretty good at it already. Ultimately though Apple will not do anything to jepordise the user experience and running Widgets, live apps etc run that risk on a single processor system. On a dual core, in theory at least, you have a lot more grunt to play with plus a way of ensuring that core OS features always have sufficient resources available.

As for specific features... hard to say. Changes to the notification system would seem likely, maybe some additional animation work. But if they ARE going to make wider UI changes, especially on tablets, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them use this model:

[​IMG]

It would make sense, Lion is supposed to be bringing iOS features to the Mac and they're adding an extra interface layer to support that. If you're going to make UI changes on a wider scale to the tablet device the sensible option would be to get as close to the desktop OS layer as is practicle considering the different input methods. I don't know exactly how the existing multi-tasking works on iOS but if they're effectively saving the app state on exit you could, in theory, dump a simple image of the app at the same time and use that as the 'live' preview of the app in the screenshot above. The dock would remain as, well, the dock with the dashboard becoming the home screen. Again though this is pure speculation and probably a million miles away from whatever Apple will actually do.

19. aduteau macrumors 6502a

I just wonder if iOS 5 will be a lesser impact then iOS4 was because of Lion coming out this year and that Lion is the prime project for the software department over at Apple.

Could it be that most of the people over at Apple are working overtime on Lion instead of iOS5 ?

20. ExcitedByNoise macrumors newbie

I'm hoping that Apple will eventually add widgets, cross app communication, and an improved notification system. I'm eager to see 5.0 because it will be a turning point for me. I expect 5.0 to come close to when my contract is up for renewal and if Android has a more substantial offering at that point I will switch.

I enjoy the consistency iOS offer across my devices and I appreciate the high level of polish, but if the feature set falls behind then I will be tempted to switch.

21. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

I'm expecting another round of incremental improvements.

This is my guess...

1) A best-in-class notification stack
    2) A new file-soup solution allowing apps to push and pull files from a cloud-synced file-collection. Expect a desktop client for this too.
    3) Some new multi-tasking APIs - including the ability for an app to modify its icon.

and for the wild card..

4) The first (small) appearance of some Siri "assistant" functionality. With Siri, there will be the potential to find things, and do things, without search engines. It has the potential to be the Google killer.

C.

22. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I have learned that with Apple or any other company when you create a list of 'expectations', you create a recipe for disappointment. You're gonna want something they don't give you and thus you are disappointed.

Having said that I expect 3D video and 5 Channel Surround Sound! :D