5.1.1 series 2

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by verdejt, Dec 4, 2018.

1. verdejt macrumors 6502

verdejt

It looks like 5.1.1 was forced to my series 2 which resulted in continuous reboots. I had to unpair and reload from a 5.1 backup which cured the issue. Not sure what happened as to why the update was forced to my series 2. So if your series 2 starts rebooting just unpair and reload from an earlier backup.

2. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502a

AlexMaximus

Since you upgraded your Series 2 to the new 5.1.1 -------- can you elaborate on the speed. Did it become a lot slower, would you upgrade again or keep it on the last 4.xx version. I would love to have the new software on my watch, but I know about Apple controlled obsolescence scam.

What is your recommendation?

3. rbart macrumors regular

rbart

watchOS 5 is not slower than 4 on series 2.
    You can upgrade safely

4. verdejt thread starter macrumors 6502

verdejt

Up until this update my watch ran fine. The apps did take a little while to load (like 3 seconds instead of 2 like the series 4). This is the first time I have had an issue with an update. Everything was running fine and then in the morning I noticed that it just kept restarting. I had to unpair and restore from a 5.0 backup. Not sure what happened. I updated to 5.1.2 this weekend and everything seems to be ok so far.

As far as the slowdown those are to maximize usage with an aging battery. An aging battery can't keep up a processor demanding 100%, your battery life would be measured in hours under 5. So to keep the unit running well they throttle the processor back so as to not put a huge drain on the aging battery. Personally I am ok with this practice. I would rather have a longer battery life and a little slower unit than a fast unit for a couple of hours.