5.1.1. update now phone has issues...help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sylus, Aug 24, 2012.

1. sylus macrumors newbie

The wife got her step forward in technology 4 weeks ago and went from a simple phone to an iphone 4 and loves it. Particulary the ability to bluetooth with the car making driving slightly safer when on the phone.

However, last weekend the phone she says did an update..it now has 5.1.1 and ever since it keeps dropping our regular wifi signal and bluetooth no longer works. The bluetooth is stuck on searching and funnily enough so is personal hotspot. Other devices find the iphone but the iphone being stuck on searches finds nothing

I read a few problems and tried the reset but no change.

It seems to be from reading that 5.1.1 is the issue?

anyone have any ideas how to go back to the previous software, solve this problem..it's really killing her idea of a fun phone and I feel bad because I reccomended it over an S3

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cant downgrade firmware versions unless you have shsh blobs for that particular iphone 4 for previous ios versions. If you dont know what that is then you dont have them saved locally or on cydia:D
    I would try a restore and setup as new.

3. sylus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply

can I ask, if I restore back to factory fresh will it not just update with the crappy 5.1.1 again and how do I save all of her contacts and apps?

It would seem 5.1.1. has caused issues for many is this something they are fixing?

Lastly would going to an apple store help..the nearest one is 650 miles away but by some strange coincidence she is visiting family in salt lake the week after next

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it will still install 5.1.1 you have no other option at the moment besides waiting for 6.0 iOS and hope that adresses some of those issues.
    I heard a few people having bluetooth issues with 5.1.1 with some cars hands free systems before. But didnt hear much about wifi.
    iTunes automaticly backs up all your settings, contacts and apps you can sync/transfer back once the restore is complete. You just have to select restore from backup on the same itunes library that the phone was synced before. Make sure you back it up before you restore it.

5. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Don't fret. It's a simple, uncommon issue. 5.1.1 is very stable and you should not experience any issues with connecting via Bluetooth or wifi. You could restore as new in iTunes or you can take it to apple and I'm sure they will replace it without any hassles. Sounds like there was either a random glitch when she upgraded, or just a bum phone. Either way, an apple store will set u straight. The customer service is second to none.