5.1 2.4 octo what to pay?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by utekineir, Jan 18, 2017.

1. utekineir macrumors 6502

Hi,

I've got an opportunity to purchase a 2010 5.1 8 core with over 20gb ram (cheap now anyway) and a couple big platter drives (also not exactly big on value added).

Ballpark range whats this sort of thing worth dollar wise locally cash. Ebay ranges seem inconsistent, plus eBay premiums attached.

Thanks,

2. AndreeOnline macrumors 6502

AndreeOnline

You pay strictly for the dual CPU board and chassi. Most of the time you'll want to swap, drives, RAM and gfx anything way.

I paid $700 for my dual CPU 4.1 and considered that to be a good deal back then.

3. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

Couple of links to maybe help with pricing...
    keeping in mind these units are all professionally refurbed and come with warranties.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Apple-Systems/Used/Mac-Pro?_ga=1.83650134.1106345417.1484882108
    http://www.dvwarehouse.com/Apple-Mac-Pro-c-5210.html&pltid=dkbn5icej0l6c4p9k5k7hhm0j5

4. utekineir thread starter macrumors 6502

assuming that means 500 was a halfway decent number.

5. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

$500 should be a good deal if that's a real 5,1

6. MacStu09 macrumors regular

For fair market price, non-eBay, $450-550 is about what you can expect; $350 on the rare craigslist occasion. But I have to say, think twice and consider how much the upgrades will cost you before dropping ~$500 on such a low-end system. I'm assuming one of your first upgrades will be the processor, as the e5620's are very slow in comparison to even semi-modern processors; so be sure you know what your costs will be beforehand.

Then again, it really depends on your needs. If heavy 4k video work, 3D modeling, etc. are important to you, I have to advise you consider a hackintosh. Obviously, hackintoshes aren't for everyone, and I do love the classic Mac Pro, but there are sales on some very easily hackintosh-able workstations on eBay frequently (just last week ones with e5-1660's for just $350 shipped.) For reference, that processor is just under the current highest-end iMac in single core benchmarks, and outperforms it in multi-core by 10-20%. (100% higher than the dual e5620's) Something like that plus a $200 gtx1060 or rx480 for graphics, and you're getting literally 2-3x the computer for $500 (plus newer architecture, usb 3.0, etc.). Just some food for thought.

7. AndreeOnline macrumors 6502

AndreeOnline

I think $500 still is a good deal today. But like others have said: consider your REAL needs and target build so that you know what the system will cost you in total.

• Mac Pro $500
    • CPUs $500
    • dual RX 480 $440
    • 48GB RAM $300
    • 512GB 850 EVO x2 $360
    • 6TB HDD $250
    • USB 3 adapter
    • WLAN/bluetooth module

That will give you a "nice" real Mac that upgrades to the latest MacOS with Handoff working and AC wireless. Total cost is about $2525. Remove a gfx card and one SSD and you might keep it just below $2k.

12 cores, dual gfx that works in Sierra (via minimal modding). RAIDed SSD will give you 500MB/s over the 1TB volume. This covers most needs and you still get just as fast access times. This build is loosely based on my own system and I feel that works well as a production machine (main focus: video).

I'm still happy with my system, but Goose would have told me that I'm running on fumes. The new iMac about to be released will most likely be a much better computer than this in many regards. I just hope they offer decent gfx or that the eGPU market matures.

For photography, design work or general computer work… I wouldn't throw cash at the old Mac Pro at this point.

PS. Those prices I mention are 'sort of' a best case scenario. I'm sure someone could start to build a Mac Pro like that, and after adding all the parts and shipping, they'd be looking at a $2950 hole in their pocket. Luckily, we normally just use our powers of denial to get around that small problem.

8. utekineir, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017

utekineir thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for detailed feedback

It is, and literally spotless even dust wise. Also came with a lot of extra stuff.

Lucky I don't have "professional needs" more or less an idiot at home that likes decent things. It'll be used for unprofessional 4k drone edits, go pro video and managing large photo and media libraries. My typical computer path going back a number of years has been to buy apple systems at a good price, keep them a year or so and resell for a net cost no worse than $10-15 a month and sometimes a profit. Unfortunately apples decisions of the last couple years have left me regretting selling the various quad i7 minis and 15 rmbp i had. Lately i'd been trying a 13' tb mbp within a best buy return policy. The only thing it excels at is make me regret selling the 15 rmbp.

Re hackintosh: What originally drew me to the apple side of the fence to begin with 12 ish years ago was the lack of tinkering, overclocking and optimizing. I had set up a hackintosh drive on my 4790k windows box, it ran, albeit with a decent bit of usb freezes, after adding a gtx 1080 this summer to that computer its days as a hack are likely over unless the driver situation changes.

After selling all the extra stuff that came with it theres a pretty strong likely hood i'm sitting around $200-250 net cost for the mac pro itself, but I'll pencil it in as 300. My math was as follows.

Machine: $300
    cpu: $160-360 depending on range sought for matched 3.06-3.4 12 core sets going off ebay listings
    Ram: $100
    Video: $60 have a 270x here that i could get $50 ish selling, so opportunity cost + $10 for a 6 pin cable. If this proves inadequate I'll look into other options. I'd prefer to avoid tweaking which the 480 looks to currently entail. If i'm going to spend a lot of time tinkering, I may as well flip this and build a hack.
    Ssd: $260 could drop in a 256 i have here, likely will do 2 512 m.2 in a raid 0.
    pci ssd card: $20
    usb card: $25 vantec 3.1 usb + usb c card from microcenter, they pricematched newegg, working fine in sierra

At the high end that put this in the $1200 total range using fuzzy math. At which point it becomes a question of how long i would keep it and what could be expected on resale.

I did have to plug in a bt 4.0 usb i had bought for the hackintosh experiment because of usb 3 interference with the factory chip, set up the system to use that on boot instead of the internal bt. Its cost was minimal. Wifi will not be used, i will however need a new network switch to utilize link aggregation to my nas.

Impressions using this for general use the last day or two: Its far more pleasurable in terms of smoothness than the 13' tb mbp I've been using lately, for that sake alone irregardless of its advantages with handling media it has a leg up. Let alone the cost part. It does handle 4k playback terribly, the extra mini 6pin should be here today, then will be able to try the 270x, see if its adequate and go from there.

9. kschendel macrumors 6502a

Re the SSD: depending on what you're doing, a simple 500Gb or 1Tb SATA SSD will give a surprising boost over spinners, even in the cMP's SATA II drive bays. You don't necessarily need to spend for the high end. I paid $220 for a 1 Tb SATA SSD (Mushkin); I had budgeted for an add-on PCI SSD, but the speed-up for what I do was enough that I ended up using the money for something entirely different.

One advantage that the MP, even cMP, has over current alternatives is the ability to run flat out without throttling for hours or days. I do DBMS development work, and I've run stress tests that last for 3-4 days without any apparent performance throttling or degradation. AND it has ECC memory, which for my work is a big deal. An iMac or MB/MBP can easily beat a cMP in burst speed, but think hare and tortoise... :)

10. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

CapnDavey

I bought my 4'1 09 Mac Pro last June its 8 core for 400 dollars us from a local dealer prices are all over the place good luck