5.1 adapter for a 17" macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rtgbanks, May 10, 2007.

1. rtgbanks macrumors newbie

Please can someone help me connect my 5.1 speakers to a macbook laptop?

Do I need a cable / adapter? Where can i get one from?

Cheers
    Rick

2. hogprint macrumors regular

hogprint

3. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Does your 5.1 system have an optical/digital audio in port?? If it does you don't need any extra hardware just a toslink/optial audio cable like these ones http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...##1##8&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n.

you can get them pretty cheap on Ebay, but since my job blocks Ebay I can't get you a link from there.

4. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

DJ is right. Your MBP already has optical out. The question is if your speakers have optical-in.

Mine don't, so I bought the Firewave instead.

5. rtgbanks thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the comments guys! my speakers don't have a optical out...looks like i will have to buy the firewave!

cheer
    rick

6. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Thanks for the question OP. I'm doing some moving around in the house and in my master bedroom, I'm pretty much going to go all out with a home theater system - I just want to get really small, nice looking speakers so I don't make the bedroom too techie.

I'm going to have my 40" Samsung 1080p LCD on the wall in front of the bed, and underneath it (because the area's a corner for my glass corner table to fit in), I'm going to have my Mac mini and Dell 20" LCD monitor mini office set up. I'm going to have my PS3 there too.

With my Mac Mini so close to my TV now, I'm thinking of hooking up the Mac Mini to the TV whenever I feel like watching something HD off of my computer. I've been downloading TV shows I miss in 720p and I'm pretty sure they have surround sound encoded in them. I haven't gone looking for movies encoded in 720p (or higher), but I'm sure they exist.

But yeah, one of the things I worried about was how I'm going to get surround sound off of my mac mini because I have the 1.42ghz PowerPC mac mini, and I'm pretty sure that doesn't have optical out. So I guess this firewave should do the trick.

The receiver I'm hoping to get is the Onkyo TX-605 discussed here on slickdeals:
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=508391