5.1 audio on MBP

AndyFM84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
near York, England
The speakers that i already have are Creative Inspire P580. Unfortunately they don't have an optical in
(was the first thing i checked once i found out the MBP had the optical out :( )

Thanks for the quick response :)

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
There's the card from Griffin. The Firewave or something. Mind you, replacing your entry-level speakers for a better-than-entry-level optical equipped 5.1 speaker system is probably not going to be a whole lot different in terms of price. The usual suspects - Logitech, Altec Lansing and Creative all have various flavours of decoder-equipped speaker sets available.

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
See this thread [thread]240795[/thread]

Same thing applies here, if you already have the 5.1 speakers, just get either the Firewave if you only use OS X, or a generic 5.1 channel USB soundcard for use in both OS X and Windows XP

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
Generally for what you'd pay for a decently sounding USB/Firewire soundcard, you could sell your speakers you have now, and get some that have an optical input for WAY superior sound.

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
purelithium said:
Generally for what you'd pay for a decently sounding USB/Firewire soundcard, you could sell your speakers you have now, and get some that have an optical input for WAY superior sound.
But you will only get stereo sound for everything but movies. If gaming is gonna be done, a USB soundcard is a must. Also, as for optical over analog, not really much of a difference, specially if your soundcard can playback 24bit samples, where as SPDIF doesn't play nice with 24bit.