5.1 audio out with hdmi? MBP 15inch 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Slacker101, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Slacker101 macrumors newbie

I've gone through two adapters and endless hours of trying to get 5.1 audio to my receiver via hdmi or with optical and I can't seem to get it to work. Well, let me correct myself. I got it to work in osX but whenever I start vlc the audio goes from 7.1 to some random configuration where it only comes out of the side speaker. I can't seem to get dts or ac3 to consistently output from vlc to my receiver. Honestly if I have to use the optical I don't care I just want it to work. I got normal audio but not dts or ac3 to work with osX. Then using bootcamp and windows 7 I got the vlc to output only some ac3 via the optical to the receiver. I never got hdmi sound to output in anything other than 2 channel in windows. Anyway if anyone can spread some light on how to accomplish this it would be greatly appreciated at the moment I am using http://www.kanexlive.com/v2 which they claim will pass uncompressed 5.1/7.1 as well as dts and ac3 through. This entire thing is frustrating. Their technical support is laughable.

2. Slacker101 thread starter macrumors newbie