5.1 for Optical connection?

steveski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
easter island
Is it possible to have true 5.1 on an imac?

I have a Logitech Z5500 connected with an optical cable and have tried everything to get it working.

Any hints on how to get everything synchronized?:confused:

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
There is a trick to get DVDs playing with true 5.1 go into dvd player then stop whatever dvd is playing if there is one. Then go into the dvd player preference. In the tab Disk setup change the audio output to digital out. instead of system output. hope that helps. Is that what you wanted?

darthmullet

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2006

I have a Logitech Z5500 connected with an optical cable and have tried everything to get it working.

Open Audio MIDI Setup (Application/Utilities/). You may need to select the correct output source and configure properties so the correct speakers output. Also, if DVD Player is uncooperative (or you have divx/xvid or .avi files with surround audio) you may need to use VLC to play them.

I know DVD Player does not work with all audio outputs correctly (FireWire HarmonyAudio, for example) but optical should work correctly.

Cave Man

macrumors 604

Digital optical ports appeared on the first Intel-based iMacs. Your system should recognize it, provided you've selected Digital Optical out in the sound preference. If you're playing DVDs, you need to open DVD Player app without a DVD in the drive (i.e., no open DVDs, physical or on your hard drive). Then, in the preferences select the digital audio output option. What is your source of 5.1 audio, and in what format is it encoded (e.g., AC-3, DTS, etc.). If your source is incompatible with your amp, then you'll never get 5.1.

Ive tried all this and i still cant get it to play audio thru my z5500. im using a toslink mini to toslink cable. this one found here - http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/CBLAOPTMT/
Yes, that should work.