5.1 for Optical connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by steveski, Aug 31, 2007.

1. steveski macrumors newbie

Is it possible to have true 5.1 on an imac?

I have a Logitech Z5500 connected with an optical cable and have tried everything to get it working.

Any hints on how to get everything synchronized?:confused:

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Perhaps, you need to select the Optical digital-out port in the Sound preferences pane.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

There is a trick to get DVDs playing with true 5.1 go into dvd player then stop whatever dvd is playing if there is one. Then go into the dvd player preference. In the tab Disk setup change the audio output to digital out. instead of system output. hope that helps. Is that what you wanted?

5. darthmullet macrumors member

Open Audio MIDI Setup (Application/Utilities/). You may need to select the correct output source and configure properties so the correct speakers output. Also, if DVD Player is uncooperative (or you have divx/xvid or .avi files with surround audio) you may need to use VLC to play them.

I know DVD Player does not work with all audio outputs correctly (FireWire HarmonyAudio, for example) but optical should work correctly.

6. ebd.i.am macrumors 6502

ebd.i.am

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Digital optical ports appeared on the first Intel-based iMacs. Your system should recognize it, provided you've selected Digital Optical out in the sound preference. If you're playing DVDs, you need to open DVD Player app without a DVD in the drive (i.e., no open DVDs, physical or on your hard drive). Then, in the preferences select the digital audio output option. What is your source of 5.1 audio, and in what format is it encoded (e.g., AC-3, DTS, etc.). If your source is incompatible with your amp, then you'll never get 5.1.

Yes, that should work.

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040