5.1 impressions?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Zorn, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Any impressions/differences from the people that are up and running with the 5.1 beta? I'm really hoping for speed improvements, since my iPhone 4 has become an absolute slug with 5.0 . I don't really want to lose my jailbreak, but the horrible slow crawling speed is enough to make me reconsider if 5.1 is a big improvement.

2. Furifo macrumors 6502

Sorry that you're having speed problems with your phone. My non-JB iPhone 4 is currently running super smooth on 5.0.1.

3. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I'm downloading now.....assuming this addresses something with the battery as 5.0.2 was supposed to, right?

4. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Yeah, I'm an ex-jailbreaker myself so I'm not trying to be condescending, but that's probably your problem. I lost my JB when I upgraded to iOS 5 and my phone became noticeably faster. Like a lot lot faster. All that Cydia stuff seems cool a first but some of it can really bog your phone down (there's a reason Apple doesn't allow it on the AppStore). I'll never go back now, especially since I now have WiFi sync, volume button camera and improved notifications. All I really miss is SBSettings, and 'ole Siri will take care of that for me come 5.1 (just need to get a 4S... heh).

So yeah, I'd cut your losses and update. And don't just do a regular update either, factory restore and start from scratch to make 100% sure all that nasty Cydia jank is out of your system.

5. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

Hey, just curious what you mean by this? What is this based on?

6. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Really hoping 5.1 has some big features in store! Like 4.1 did.

7. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Was a news article suggesting 5.1 was going to add improvements to Siri, such as enabling/disabling wifi etc. Have seen mentioned that the have opened the API to allow third party access from other apps.

8. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Hearing reports that battery life is a lot better.

9. bgtrack, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

bgtrack macrumors regular

bgtrack

Wrote this in another thread, but battery is much improved.

10. M33-1 macrumors member

I'm glad to hear that it tastes better!

11. bgtrack macrumors regular

bgtrack

Nice catch ;)

went back and edited the post