5.1 internal mic on camcorders

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Soura2112, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Does anyone here have a high end camcorder with a built in 5.1 mic? If so does it really sound good? Being a new technology on camcorders under $1,200 Im curious if you really get a nice 5.1 sound. Obviously I'm not making Star Wars, nor awesome battle scenes with sound flying everywhere, but I like the idea if it really caught a jet going by or whatever sound would cross me. Love the idea cause I was with laser discs when AC-3 5.1 came out during my laser disc days and can't wait to see how it actually works once done editing without much sound tweaking as a test.

I dont really trust those who work on commission at Frys and Best Buy does not know my sound questions, just simple picture questions nor do they know how FCP works and other Mac questions. Why I come here to ask for honest answers.

In about 2 weeks I will have my new camera and you won't be seeing all my posts about new cameras, plus I pretty much made up my mind on my camera, so this should be my last question. Thanks for everyone's help with my boring questions I do appreciate it. I have learned a lot since trying to catch up on whats new these in camcorders these past few years due to this forum.
    Thanks again

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Regardless of the mic's quality, being that it is on-camera would mean that only the sounds very close to the camera would be picked up well.

On-camera mics are notorious for overall poor sound recording. If you want good quality audio recording, you'd need to mic the sound source(s) properly and with the right type of mic(s).

-DH

3. Keebler macrumors 68030

I have the Panasonic TM900 with 5.1 sound. DH is right of course, any wind or sounds further away are just that.

In terms of editing, I used Clipwrap to unrwap them into prores and there's 4 audio tracks in FCP. I haven't even installed the Panasonic included software nor have I had time to really sort it out. I will be soon though b/c my card is start to fill up so the need is there :)

In terms of optics, it's a great camcorder. Great footage thus far.

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

The terms "high end," "built in," and "5.1 mic" are mutually exclusive.

A mic cannot be high end and built in.

5.1 is a mix of multiple channels that ideally you would record with multiple mics.

The advertised 5.1 mic is more a marketing gimmick than anything else.

5. Skika macrumors 68030

I have a Sony handheld cam that has 5.1 built in sound recording, and although its nothing revolutionary it does sound nice and pick up sounds quite good. The mics for rear channels are on the back, the front are on the front.

6. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thx

Thanks for the info on your camcorders and 5.1..
    I was not getting the cam for 5.1 just happeneds to come with it.