5.1 JB Sooner then later:D (hopefully)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Neart, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Neart macrumors newbie

Tweets from pod2g today:)

@Pod2g
    ETA for 5.1 JB: no clue! We're going to set pieces of the puzzle together this week. We could have issues... Could be 1 month maybe 2...

@Pod2g
    Maybe never... (!)

@Pod2g
    I know 1 month seems long, but it's short to work on a project like this when it's a hobby and you've other things to do as well.

Sounds like good news and he thinks it'll be ready in about a month:D
    Fingers crossed because even though i love my first iPhone i cant wait to be able to see what its really capable of:eek:

2. yourmother macrumors regular

3. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Sweet - thanks for sharing. But unless there are two jailbreaks coming one right after the other, it's sooner than later :)

4. Neart thread starter macrumors newbie

My first post and I get corrected on spelling... It's to be expected here I guess.
    I actually meant a jb for 5.1 will be out soon with a jb out for iOS 6 later##

At the release of the jb for 5.0.1 did pod2g not say it should be ready in about a month and then released it a week later. Hopefully this is the same situation.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think he's just giving a 1-2 month deadline so he has plenty of room for delays that might come up and testing.
    If he didnt say when then people will still keep asking like every day about the 5.1 JB.

6. Netherscourge macrumors 6502

He's like Scotty from Star Trek.

He always gives the worse case timeline so when he finishes sooner, he looks like a hero.

"Captain, it could take DAYS to get the Warp Drive back on line!"

2 hours later...

"Captain, she's ready to go! Just don't push her too hard!"

/Kirk and everyone else on the bridge cheer in unison

/Scotty drinks scotch the rest of the cruise

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This made me chuckle. Thanks ! #

8. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Now that I'm back on 5.0.1 I really don't even care for 5.1 or its jailbreak. At least it will help new iPhone users and those that upgraded "by mistake"

9. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Wirelessly posted

Thats exactly how I interpreted it too. He said they're putting together the final pieces this week but that "we could have issues". If he stopped his update at putting the final pieces together this week then people would hammer him with questions on the delay. If he says it could take a month or two, this lowers people's expectations.

Either way I really really hope he releases it soon! Ever since I got my replacement iPhone I've been stuck at 5.1 and no JB. Its not the end of the world and I can wait longer but I sure wouldn't be upset if he released it soon!

10. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

LOL classic :)

Remember the Next Generation episode where they find old Scotty, and Gordie the new chief engineer asks Scotty about that. Says something like why lie about it, just tell him honestly when you will be done. Old Scotty freaks out, tells nerd LaForge he just doesn't get it.

11. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

12. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

with the new SAM hack to unlock the iPhones I believe Apple will close the hole soon and take the fw to 5.1.1 so they need to get this done faster than the predicted deadline which is a very conserving one.

14. BlueRaider macrumors regular

hopefully a new firmware version is released soon after or soon before the jailbreak with the jailbreak not closed, that would be the best news. I doubt Apple is going to rush to fix any of the current methods of jailbreaking since they don't rely on remote code execution like Jailbreakme did. For example, when the 4.3.1 jailbreak was released it was months before Apple actually closed that hole in 4.3.4. The last jailbreak had a 2 month window between release and closure. The more exploitable firmware versions released by Apple the better off we are!

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'm sure @pod2g is taking into account the risk window closing on 5.1 and everything that goes with it. I'm sure they are also want a stable and easy jailbreak. quite simply it will take as long as it takes and no longer. Also a smart man always promises thing latter then sooner. nobody ever complains if they get something earlier then expected. ;)

16. Neart thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm excited because I know if he said a month or two then he expects it to be done sooner but gives the time he did for the reasons above.

I wonder if apple will ever lock down iOS for good.

17. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

The next iPhone will be announced by then lol...

18. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I'm greatful they found new exploits, I almost wish they would save them for the next iPhone/iOS 6.

19. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

i seriously doubt they find one and then proceed to the entire jailbreak process. i would bet they have 10+ exploits now. when the 4s was first released, one of the jb devs said they'd found 5 exploits within the first week, iirc.

20. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

The 5 were patched during the GM of 5.0, which is why it forever for the jailbreak.

I highly doubt they have another one backed up that they can readily use, maybe one at most. They just have to be careful on how they "spend" them, as they seem to becoming rarer. Also, iOS 5 is over half a year old now, so it's wise to start considering iOS 6, which is on the horizon with betas arriving in less than 2 months.

21. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Think they should wait for the release of iOS 6 to be honest.

I am quite happy staying on IOS 5.0.1 as IOS 5.1 does not offer any major improvements :)

22. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Agreed. No offense but if you waited 6 months to buy an iPhone 4S then you can wait 6 more for the new model so that it's jailbreak-able for the rest of us.