5,1 Mac Pro processor for video editing?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Archduk3, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Archduk3 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I could not find a thread for this already hence why I am asking.

I have decided myself to buy a new, used, system. I am currently on a 2011 macbook pro and want to invest in the older macpro models. And of course on a budget.

I know that graphic cards and memory can be upgraded but processor is a more complicated and pricey process.

But the question I have is this.

Which is the ideal processor for video editing mainly Avid and premiere CC?

Of course more cores sounds tempting, but the mix of clock speed VS cores are confusing me and I have read articles saying that in some real world scenarios less cores outperforms the more virtual ones.

I am open to both 2012 and 2010 model but II just think 2010 will fit my budget better.

//C

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

The 2010 and 2012 models were the same except the new 3.06gHz model in 2012 replacing the 2.93gHz as far as I know. Get the best one you can, those extra cores really do help in rendering. The GPU is more important during the actual editing process, however. I have a 12 core and it is really fast. Make sure to get an Nvidia card though for CUDA cores. You could get a 3.33gHz 6 core but overall the 12 core models 2.93gHz and up really are better.