5.1 on a mac? I'm a bit confused!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hdunlopclark, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Hdunlopclark macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I have looked at all of the current threads but they are quite old and the new ones are un-answered. I just want to confirm before i spend the money. I have an aluminum iMac the 2.0 version and i am planning to buy the logitech X-530 5.1 speakers. I want all speakers to give out sound. I understand it won't work automatically with the iMac so i will need to get the Griffin FireWave or something similar. Once this is all connected this will work, won't it??? Also could instead get 2 headphone Y cables and plug one in to the iMac and the one that is already pluged in to the iMac plug the second one in to so there is 3 available ports, then just plug all the cables from the speakers in the the available 3.5mm jacks. Would that just play the same noise out of each speaker because i don't mind doing that that way.

Thanks very much

Harry

2. Hdunlopclark thread starter macrumors member

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Your second idea definitely won't work. There's only one line out on an iMac and you've apparently already got a Y-adapter in it, so at best you could have stereo coming out of the fronts and rears.

For actual surround sound, however, you will need the FireWave. End of story.