Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hello everyone

I used the ATV 3 for a long time and recently upgraded to the ATV 4K 64GB. Since that model lacks the optical out of ATV 3 I'm now looking for a new surround receiver to which I can connect the ATV 4K and my ageing but still really nice Panasonic plasma over HDMI. I wish to keep using the 5.1 system we have so the receiver would need to be able to do that.

Are there any good receivers these days for max 500 EUR/USD approx?

Thank you kindly in advance
philip

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Any entry level A/V receiver should have what you need. Yamaha, Sony, Denon, etc all have affordable entry models at half of what your budget is but due to the electronic shortages there can be slim pickings. Personally, I would go to whatever local electronics store you have and buy the cheapest receiver since it sounds like you just need the basics.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
Denon has a very reasonably priced receiver that will be future proof if you ever decide to go to a 4K TV. its the Denon AVR-S740H. I am using it now in my 5.0 system and am really happy with it. Plenty of power. Easy to set up. Sounds great. Has Audessy to calibrate your room. if you have a Costco membership or know someone who does you can get it for about $450.00. Of course, Costco a has great return policy and warranty.

And I realize you may not need all the features it has right now but as I said, consider future proofing just in case you do go 4K TV down the road. This is one way to go if you do. You won’t have to buy another receiver to get the most out of your TV and ATV.

I had a similar setup but went 4K this past November and couldn’t be happier. Put this receiver with your ATV 4K, and your 2/3s of the way to complete 4K where you can take full advantage of the ATV 4K.

Good luck whatever you do.
Any entry level A/V receiver should have what you need. Yamaha, Sony, Denon, etc all have affordable entry models at half of what your budget is but due to the electronic shortages there can be slim pickings. Personally, I would go to whatever local electronics store you have and buy the cheapest receiver since it sounds like you just need the basics.

Reactions: jms-uk and pullman

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you very much for these suggestions. I will check with the local shops. It is true that I need the basics, really. It's on the (long) todo list to upgrade the surround system but for now entry level ought to do well.

Again thank you for your help
Philip

Denon has a very reasonably priced receiver that will be future proof if you ever decide to go to a 4K TV. its the Denon AVR-S740H. I am using it now in my 5.0 system and am really happy with it. Plenty of power. Easy to set up. Sounds great. Has Audessy to calibrate your room. if you have a Costco membership or know someone who does you can get it for about $450.00. Of course, Costco a has great return policy and warranty.

And I realize you may not need all the features it has right now but as I said, consider future proofing just in case you do go 4K TV down the road. This is one way to go if you do. You won’t have to buy another receiver to get the most out of your TV and ATV.

I had a similar setup but went 4K this past November and couldn’t be happier. Put this receiver with your ATV 4K, and your 2/3s of the way to complete 4K where you can take full advantage of the ATV 4K.

Good luck whatever you do.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
it so spending $$$ more on a HDMI 2.1 receiver is not the best choice.

consider future proofing

A few extra dollars now might save you hundreds later if you decide to upgrade. Receivers last a long time.

Reactions: pullman

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you very much for these suggestions.
cheers
Philip

A few extra dollars now might save you hundreds later if you decide to upgrade. Receivers last a long time.

Devin Breeding

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
I found a 2 year old Sony Atmos enabled receiver on Facebook marketplace and it plays well with the most recent 2 Apple TV 4k generations. Most Dolby Atmos enabled will also support DTS as well as older 5.1 surround formats. We currently just have a 5.1 setup and sound is incredible for the space its in. Also able to output HDR and Dolby Vision if you end up upgrading your tv.

Personally I would get a used higher end before I went with a new budget model. Might be worth a look for you.

Reactions: satcomer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.