5.1 Speakers with iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kretzy, Apr 7, 2007.

1. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Is it possible to connect a set of Logitech X-530 speakers to a 20'' Intel iMac? The speakers have 3 inputs, but the iMac only has one line out obviously. Is there any sort of adaptor that will allow for the 5.1 to work (currently just using 3.1).

Thanks

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

3. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Theres also the griffin firewave. However, I haven't read g reat things about either of the devices..Im afraid a digital set of speakers would work best.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yeah, really you just need an external digital processor connected to standard speakers (Creative makes one, connected to the computer via optical), or speakers like the Logitech Z-5500s (which I have and like very much). The only way you'll get true 5.1 out is if you have something that can decode AC-3 over optical.

5. Fediks macrumors newbie

6. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Any kind of [mac supported] external soundcard with multiple channels should be fine. However if you have the budget I can strongly suggest upgrading to some speakers with a digital (optical) input, and make use of the built in optical out on your iMac :) it really does sound amazing!

Ed

7. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

The Griffen Firewave also doesn't support DTS. The Creative DDTS-100 is some what of a decent choice, it does DD and DTS decoding as well as just about all the variations of DTS and DD. But it's highly overpriced if you can still find it, been discontinued for a while, it's definitely not worth $140

You are best off just buying a digital set of speakers. But then you run into other problems, the availability of budget digital 5.1 PC speakers has dropped significantly in the last year or two. Altec Lancing makes a set that plugs in to USB (not a fan). And Logitech makes the Z-5500 which I wouldn't recommend to my grandmother, unless she liked boomy unnatural sound.

You are best off buying a low end Harman Kardon 5.1 receiver like the AVR-146 which is about $230, and something like some Klipsch Quintet II satellites (Vanns still sells them, though they are discontinued, I used to have them back in the early 2000's, pretty decent they look smilier to the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 but a big step above) or something along that lines. You can get away with a pretty decent sounding system for about $500 if you really shop around.

8. Mac24 macrumors newbie

Optical out?

OK, now if you could show me where exactly the optical out is on my iMac 24, I would really appreciate it as I must be blind:confused:

9. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

It's built into the Headphone (Speaker Out) Jack