5.1 surrond sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neevan, Jun 11, 2009.

1. neevan macrumors newbie

May 18, 2009
    Hi All,
    I have 15" classic MBP(non-uni).

This week i purchased creative 5.1 speaker system.
    Cable which connects from MBP to Speaker system has three pins on bath sides.....

one end three pins are going to speaker input....when i connect any pin of the other end to my MBP ,only the front 2 speakers are working...

my 5.1 speaker system doesn't have optical input(but has auxillary input).

i found that TOSLINK mini-plug pin will work if speaker system has optical input...

is there any other alternative for me to get the sound from all 5speakers...

i just need sound from all 5speakers no doldy effect or 5.1 surround...

Please help me...

Thanks in advance
  2. Joeprob223 macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2009
    I was in a similar situation the other day and I think I found a way to fix it...

The aux in on your speakers probably has a built-in crossover, so if you feed the headphone output to it the front 2 and subwoofer should work. What I did was get a headphone jack splitter (probably a couple bucks at radioshack), connect that to the computer, then one output to the aux in, and the other to the surround l/r input on the speakers. That way, you will get sound on 4 speakers + sub, and only be missing the center.
  3. neevan thread starter macrumors newbie

May 18, 2009
    Thanks Joeprob223,

Will try it today....
    and are there any settings to be completed on MBP for 5.1 speakers...because i just connected my speakers to MBP and didn't touch any settings ....

if i am not bothering you...could you please send a link of the splitter i have to buy....a link from online(amazon or any)

4. Joeprob223 macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2009