5.1 Surround audio from DVD-A

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mallbritton, Jan 8, 2012.

1. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

Hello, folks.

I guess my googling skills really suck, 'cause I'm not really finding a good answer to my question.

I've recently purchased the new Rush remastered box sets, and each box has one album that has been mastered in 96/24 and 5.1 surround on a DVD-A. I've been able to rip the stereo audio from the disc using DVD Audio Extractor. But I'd like to be able to have a copy of the 5.1 surround version in my iTunes library as well.

Just ripping it using DVDAE to AIFF I can add the files to iTunes but they don't play. Converting to ALAC I can't even add the files to iTunes for some reason.

So if any kind soul can point me towards some tools to accomplish this I'd really appreciate it.

Regards,
    Michael

2. dj-anon macrumors member

dj-anon

3. mallbritton thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

don't think dvd-a are rippable in a 5.1 format.

5. mallbritton thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know DVD Audio Extractor will give me files that I can open in Quick Time player, and a Get Info on the file shows that QTP recognizes that the files has 5.1 channels. Since I have Perian installed the track will play in QTP, albeit in Stereo.

And as I mentioned AIFF and WAV files can be added to iTunes. They just won't play. So I'm not sure what's going on.

I'm still investigating. Any suggestions will be appreciated.