5.1 Surround sound

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skippymac, Dec 27, 2010.

1. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Hi,

I have been searching the internet high and low over the last couple of days to try and find some sort of device to attach my new 5.1 surround sound to my MBP 13".

The speakers have front, rear and center/subwoofer inputs, which are 3.5mm jacks.

at the moment all i can get is the subwoofer and 2 other speakers working at once.

I understand that some of the content of my laptop wont be in 5.1 surround sound, but I'd still like that to be played through all of the speakers not just 2.

so basically heres a list of the features i really want:

*Firewire or USB connection
    *Output to my speakers
    *Possibly an audio input for a guitar (not very important)
    *The ability to play stereo in all of my speakers

one last question, do i need to change/download anything on my mac to be able to output 5.1 in for example a DVD that im playing etc?

thanks very much

matt

2. occams razor macrumors regular

I know surround is awesome and all but if your not going to be watching movies or playing games that support surround you would be better off with a set of audioengine speakers. True audiophiles only go with two speakers for a reason lol

3. skippymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

thanks that is the sort of thing i am looking for, i also found this:

http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-5-1-audio-adapter/42767.html

i do plan to watch quite a lot of movies and play games that support suround sound, i was just saying some things i will be doing will only be in stereo, so it would be good if i could use all 6 speakers for stereo as well :)

thankyou :)

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I've tried to do the same thing in the past, with no luck, USB sound cards did not work either.

In the end I just got a 5.1 set of speakers that uses a digital optical connection. To play 2.1 stereo sound through all 5.1 speakers, you'll need a set of speakers that can up-mix the audio to play it through every speaker (I have the Logitech Z-5500 Digital speakers and they are great for this. Big and expensive, but great.)

5. SidBala macrumors 6502a

What you are really looking for is a USB sound card. The so called "adapters" you have links for are just that.

Have you tried looking at some brand names like Creative?