5.1 System suggestion for consoles?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by bowzer, Sep 21, 2007.

1. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

Looking for some suggestions how to get 5.1 from my consoles... for the past few days I've been looking at "Home Theater in a box" setups, receivers, and still haven't found the perfect one. My budget is about $500 Canadian (which, on a side note, since the last time in 30+ years, is worth the same as the American dollar right now! lol). If I got a receiver I'd need to then get some speakers, so I'd prefer a 'in the box' system if possible.

I want to hook up my PS3, XBox 360, and my digital cable box.
    Im using 1080p from both my consoles, over component. If I went with a reciever I'd hook my PS3 up through HDMI, so it's important that it can do 1080p. Uncompressed PCM audio from the PS3 would be great, but then I'd need a receiver that can do HDMI 1.3 - and those can be expensive.

Im probably just going to stick with component for the video, and do optical audio from both consoles... for my cable box, I dont care if its just the normal red/white rca audio.

I was looking at getting the Pioneer HTS-GS1, but it's not in stock in any of the stores in my city (Ottawa, Canada)... and Im not really too keen on the white.

Here's the same system (input wise at least) in black... Pioneer HTS-570 specs
    Image of the Pioneer HTS-570 inputs

Here's a more detailed image of the connections on my cable box

Sorry that was so long winded... so... any ideas? :)

2. doitintheroad

I plan on buying a 5.1 system as well within the next week or so, and will be (hopefully!) connecting it to my iMac, my Xbox360, and my digital cable. I use component for my Xbox and my cable, so hopefully everything will work out, but I'll be sure to post as to what happens!

My thinking is that I'm going to be buying something along these lines (with a similar budget): Panasonic Home Theatre System (SCPT750K) http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodd...=0926INGFS10086035&catid=20311&test_cookie=1#

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Seems like the HTS-570 has 3 digital audio inputs (2 optical, 1 coax) so you could use 1 optical each for your PS3 and 360, and then use the digital coax for you cable box. Then you could have everything in 5.1 without having to keep switching wires

4. bowzer thread starter macrumors 6502

bowzer

i'd pass on that one, all the connections for the speakers are on the dvd unit itself... with very little options for other inputs. i just checked the user manual for it.

5. bowzer thread starter macrumors 6502

bowzer

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

I went the Onkyo route almost 3 years ago when I finally decided to get a 5.1 system - and I'm thrilled with it. I got a basic HTIB setup, as a scratch and dent from J and R. Got a fantastic deal on it.

Anyhew, a quick search at the same place I bought mine from shows...

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4161926

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/home-theater-systems/m/35423746/search=HT-SR800

[​IMG]

2 HDMI ins, 3 component ins, and iPod compatibility. 7.1 with speakers, 110 watts per channel.

400 bucks.

Wow, times have changed...

<edit>

Looks like the main differences between the one you posted and the one I posted from my quick search are a drop (from yours to mine) of a composite video input, and the second zone rca outs.

7. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Just so you know, you don't need HDMI 1.3 for uncompressed multichannel audio, every version supports it.

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

A friend is getting the Logitech Z5500, which I have a feeling includes optical audio and Dolby 5.1, in addition to cranking 500+W with surprising response for $200 (to quote one review, "so loud it even pisses off deaf people" :D)

9. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I think I'll be picking up one of those early next year as well; supposedly a very good audio system in-a-box. I don't have a desire to buy another receiver that goes unused 90% of the time and then have to pay even more for speakers...I think an all-in-one HTIB kit is right for me at least. ;)

10. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Seconded. Circuit City almost always has a $500 HTIB setup that, for the money, can't be beat.

11. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

My friend has that set up, he raves about it.
    He got it from here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-021-LG&groupid=702&catid=22&subcat=165
    which i guess is a little far from canada, but you can at least see the product spec.

I went the A/V receiver route, and it cost me a little over £200. A JVC RX-6042 A/V Receiver thats just fantastic, everthing I own that outputs sound in some form is piped into that,(even my phone if I wanted to) And then a set of yahama 5.1 speakers. Sounds amazing, I can remember the first time I had it on with Halo 2, and I could hear people coming up behind me, I was unstoppable that day lol

12. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I would second the Onkyo 605 recommendation and get the speakers as a separate purchase.

That 605 supports all the latest HD codecs and has HDMI 1.3 inputs / output. So it will pretty much support anything you throw at it.

The HTIB's will only get you so far. Especially with the PS3 being Blu-Ray and your X-Box capable of HD-DVD. The 605 is a fantastic little receiver for the price and will take you all the way to 7.1 if you want.

You might want to take a look at SVS 5.1 or 7.1 setup for quality speakers at a reasonable price. Stay away from Bose, as they pretty much suck even at half the price.

Home Theater is usually a longer term investment. You'll still have it long past the next generation of game machines.

13. Motley macrumors 6502

I've got the one step down, the 604 instead of the 605 with no complaints. Then again the only game console I have connected to it is a Wii (I should have picked up that Xbox Premium with hdmi for $280 yesterday:(). Definitely sounds much better than the dinky $250 HTiB I used to have when watching movies.

Actually I have one complaint: weak ir detection. Everything else I have I can bounce the signal off my projector screen to the components behind me but not with the 604.