5.1 Tethered Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iRooney, Mar 8, 2012.

1. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

Okay so I know that 5.1 now has a tethered jailbreak. I have a question about tethered jailbreaks in general. I know that in order to boot back to jail broken state I will need to "just boot" through redsn0w every time I reboot, which means I will need to connect to a computer to do it. I am fine with this.

My question....if my phone reboots and I am not near a computer, can I still boot not jail broken? For example, the other day I accidentally powered off instead of respringing. I was at work at the time. If that were to happen again, would I at least be able to get back into a stock phone until I was able to get home? I know back n ios4 when I was tethered I was without a phone until I ran redsn0w. Anyone have any insight?

2. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

a tethered phone will NOT boot, youll just get the apple logo until it runs outa juice

get Semi-Tether (google it) from cydia on 5.1, so then you will be able to boot up and use stock apps

3. iRooney thread starter macrumors 6502

iRooney

4. Che Castro macrumors 603

So i can do a tethered jailbreak on an ipad 2 5.1 ?

5. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

I believe 5.1 tethered is only for A4 devices. So no on the iPad 2 or 4S. I may be wrong though.

6. oBMTo macrumors 6502

Is it possible to tether between two computers? My main tether would be my desktop PC which has all my music and apps. My back tether would be my Macbook Air, which I would use for portable tethering if my iPhone randomly reboots.

7. omizzle macrumors regular

So I just did the tethered 5.1 JB earlier tonight.

When I restarted the phone without booting from redsn0w, I could not use any jailbroken apps, but the phone and the texts still worked for me.. email did not.

so if you accidentally restart, you'll still be able to use your phone in a basic way, although all of your other apps may not work

8. biohead macrumors 6502

It depends on how deep your JB modifications go as to whether the phone will boot. If you've hardly done anything, then you might just be able to get the springboard to load. If you've touched commcenter or mobilesubstrate its almost guaranteed you won't get further than the Apple logo.

9. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

I was on a tethered JB with 5.0 and 5.0.1 before the untether. I installed a package called SemiTether that allowed it to boot into non-jb state when away from a computer. Mail and Safari does not work in that state, nor does any JB app/tweak, but other web browsers do. I don't know if SemiTether has been updated to 5.1, but I would expect so. It actually makes tethered jailbreaks useful! :)

Semitether used to be in this repo: http://thebigboss.org/semitether

10. iRooney thread starter macrumors 6502

iRooney

Yeah. I rejailbroke 5.1 yesterday and have semi tether running. Only issue I have whatsoever is the iBooks problem....but that's not that huge of a deal because I always use my iPad for reading.

11. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

As far as I know, this is correct

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

As far as I know, semi-tether was not updated to work with 5.1 and interferes with the tethered reboot

13. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

fwiw, i think i read a tweet this morning from one of the 'dream team' members about working out kinks in ios 5.1 untethered jailbreak. i guess they're moving along quickly, and i hope they can crack the new ipad soon!

14. iRooney thread starter macrumors 6502

iRooney

UPDATE

I haven't had the need to reboot not tethered yet, but I figured I'd test it out just to put all concerns to rest. Poster above is half correct. The tethered boot doesn't get screwed up, but the semi-tether is 100% ineffective. Rebooting gets to the boot logo and just stays there - let it sit for 10 minutes just in case it was just going to take a really long time. Ended up having to redsn0w PWNed DFU and tethered boot.

So, to reiterate, semi tether is NOT compatible with 5.1.

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Appreciate your input to validate my post :D
    (but not to be smug, but I knew it wouldn't work)

16. completing macrumors member

Semi-tether works on my 5.1 !!!

I installed the semi-tether on my iPhone 4 w/ iOS5.

At first, it didn't seem to work when I tried on a newly restored device.

Then, it started to work all of a sudden.

I think it's a combination of cydia apps I installed, but I can't seem to replicate on another device.

I'll try a couple different methods, and report back.

17. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Guess you are lucky !
    Most reports say it won't work on 5.1 or that once it is used, they cannot just boot tethered afterwards.
    Anyway, working for you.

18. completing macrumors member

I replicated!!!!

I think it's the "Appsync 5+" from cydia.hackulo.us

Once I installed that, the semi-tether started to work!!!

(safari doesn't seem to work either semi-tethered and tethered-boot mode if you use the 'Patch Safari')

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

lmao:D

20. iRooney thread starter macrumors 6502

iRooney

For the record....semi tether worked fine until I installed spite. After that it died....but spire never worked with semi tether so it's not a huge surprise. Semi tether works, just selectively.

21. printergirl macrumors newbie

I stumbled upon this forum, trying to make my SemiTether and Safari work, after my JB. :C Nothing I did solved either issue. I tried doing this method above and still can't Semitether...I'm stuck with a never ending apple screen, until I connect and tether boot. Luckily I have been able to tether boot all, I swear at least, 100 times I have tried today! I guess I am SOL if my phone dies away from a computer, since I am running 5.1 and there seems to be no fix for a non-tethered or semi-tethered solution...that I have found anyway. :C

However, your tip about the "Patch Safari" toggle was priceless. That fixed my Safari issue! :) A million "Thank Yous" on that one! If anyone figures out the semi-tether issues...please let me know. I am horrified at the idea of being away from home when my phone dies.