5.1 USB headphones

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iKokomo, Jun 2, 2012.

1. iKokomo macrumors newbie

I have a USB 5.1 Saitek headphones which work well when I plug the USB into my Mac, but it only seems to work in stereo mode. I can not find any drivers for it! Do I need drivers to run 5.1 mode on my MacBook? Or will my headphones only run on 2 channel mode! Thanks for you help!

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I don't know, really. The closest thingi can think of is sound flower and line in to select... That still probably wouldnt work... What are you listening in 5.1 anyways??

3. iKokomo thread starter macrumors newbie

Movies and games (like bioshock for os x and the like)

4. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

I don't understand how headphones can be 5.1... Unless there are three drivers in one, two in the other, and half a subwoofer in each of them. It doesn't make sense to me. The only thing I understand with headphones is that they would be a stereo system, as there are only two areas supplying sound. Right and left. But I could be terribly wrong here, I'm not an expert by any means.

5. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Yeah, that's how I'd imagine it too, to have true 5.1 sound, you need 5 different speakers and a subwoofer. Headphones won't supply that, although you can get software to emulate it.

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

i don't know, but i have gaming headphones called turtle beaches that claim to output dolby digital 7.1, but i think the xbox only does 5.1. in any case, i don't know how much of it is hardware or just software emulation.