5.1 USB headphones

iKokomo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
I have a USB 5.1 Saitek headphones which work well when I plug the USB into my Mac, but it only seems to work in stereo mode. I can not find any drivers for it! Do I need drivers to run 5.1 mode on my MacBook? Or will my headphones only run on 2 channel mode! Thanks for you help!

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I don't know, really. The closest thingi can think of is sound flower and line in to select... That still probably wouldnt work... What are you listening in 5.1 anyways??

mfuchs88

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2011
I don't understand how headphones can be 5.1... Unless there are three drivers in one, two in the other, and half a subwoofer in each of them. It doesn't make sense to me. The only thing I understand with headphones is that they would be a stereo system, as there are only two areas supplying sound. Right and left. But I could be terribly wrong here, I'm not an expert by any means.

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
I don't understand how headphones can be 5.1... Unless there are three drivers in one, two in the other, and half a subwoofer in each of them. It doesn't make sense to me. The only thing I understand with headphones is that they would be a stereo system, as there are only two areas supplying sound. Right and left. But I could be terribly wrong here, I'm not an expert by any means.
Yeah, that's how I'd imagine it too, to have true 5.1 sound, you need 5 different speakers and a subwoofer. Headphones won't supply that, although you can get software to emulate it.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
i don't know, but i have gaming headphones called turtle beaches that claim to output dolby digital 7.1, but i think the xbox only does 5.1. in any case, i don't know how much of it is hardware or just software emulation.