5.1 with Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Re-Son, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Re-Son macrumors newbie

Hey!

I have a Logitech 5.1 surround sound system that comes with the green,black,yellow plug. I just plug in the green plug and I only get 3speakrs the left right and middle base and subwoofer. How or what device do I purchase so I can get the 5.1 running??

THANKS!!!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Get a new speaker system. You can't use it with the MBP. You need a system that can take TOSLINK input.

3. Re-Son thread starter macrumors newbie

This is rather upsetting, but I appreciate the knowledge..do u know any systems off hand?

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

5. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I'm in the same boat. I ended up getting a 3way headphone jack splitter from radioshack for my speakers. all 5 speakers are powered (not real 5.1 sound but w/e); but yeah, for 5.1 you need some speakers w/ an optical input (not many computer speaker systems out there w/ it surprisingly, but be prepared to pay TOP dollar for the few that do)

6. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

i heard that if you use the optical though, itll only output 5.1 if the sound supports it.. ie. dolby and DVD player

but itunes only outputs 2.1

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Music is stereo to begin with. It has nothing to do with iTunes itself.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I think you need some kind of soundcard device that will take your optical out from the speaker out jack and the card device will have its several outputs to go to your 5.1 system.