Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
For 5.8" users looking to buy 5.4" iPhone 5G, would you mind a thicker bezel? Or would you buy 6.1" iPhone 5G Pro?

The 5.4" and 6.1" iPhone 5G will be mainstream devices. In all likelihood, they will use rigid OLED panels for cost and product differentiation. The 6.1" and 6.7" iPhone 5G Pro will likely continue to use flexible OLED.

Compared to the flexible OLED used in iPhone Xs and 11 Pro, the bezel will be thicker. The advantage is obviously cost, but rigid panels can also be brighter.

Aftermarket replacement rigid OLED panels have been available for iPhone Xs for at least a year now. Bezel thickness is about the same as XR.

1579984755098.png

1579985439150.png

Reactions: brucemr

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The 6.1” OLED with the dual camera would be my choice from that line up. I couldn’t go back to a smaller device now. If that is priced a bit high, I’d buy a cheap iPhone 11 Pro Max.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
I’ll be getting the 5.4” phone no matter what, but I’d prefer very thin bezels.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
5G is not even worth worrying about till at least iP13. If it's a smaller 11 i wouldn't bother.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
6.1 Pro for me. Not interested in a smaller phone or a phone without flagship features... I’m a little disappointed the 5.8 Pro will not be offered anymore as that size is the sweet spot for me...

I mean absolutely no offense and mean this in the best way possible, but the title of the thread literally starts off with “5.4’ buyers...” and then you start the discussion off talking about how you wouldn’t buy the 5.4” model...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
6.1 Pro for me. Not interested in a smaller phone or a phone without flagship features... I’m a little disappointed the 5.8 Pro will not be offered anymore as that size is the sweet spot for me...

I agree. But offering a 5.4 inch iPhone seemingly will lower the price—> which transcends into more sales—> higher profit margin‘s.

Anyways, for ‘techies’ like myself and others, we realize what features work best for us in terms of what we pay for, but the average consumer is looking at it from the standpoint, do they want to spend that kind of money for something they’ll probably never use? [Like 3D Touch for example.]

I personally really like the stereo speakers, but how many consumers even know what the stereo speakers even offer or that their phone even has stereo speakers? You get my point, but Apple sees the $ signs, not catering to the demographic for the very few select on sites like this.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

brucemr

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2019
Have 5.8”, like it, but am interested in trying a little smaller phone.

If 5.4” body size with the larger bezels is equivalent to a 5.5 or 5.6” screen with 11 Pro bezels, interested. But if, body size is close to same as my 5.8“, but with smaller 5.4” screen, will hold onto my 5.8.

Reactions: compwiz1202

se95dah

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2014
I’d prefer 11 pro size bezels, but if they are a little thicker it won’t put me off. I also don’t mind whether it’s LCD or OLED. I know all the rumours point to OLED but the only way I can find that one of the existing point widths gives a display size close to 5.4 inches is to take the 11 pro display and scale it to 326ppi at 2 pixels per point - which suggests LCD (or maybe an OLED with RGB subpixels?)

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Currently using a X and I think those bezels are spot on, I don't mind having thicker ones on the 5.4". I even prefer having bezels then a 100% screen:body phone, I don't see why on a device you hold and grip, unless accidental touch mitigation is perfect.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
For me, the whole bezel thickness issue is overrated. After all, we do not even look at bezels, but at what is framed by them. Putting it differently, when we look at a painting or printed photo, we do not focus on their frames, right?
[automerge]1580058352[/automerge]
I personally really like the stereo speakers, but how many consumers even know what the stereo speakers even offer or that their phone even has stereo speakers?

IMO, in-built stereo speakers on an iPhone is a joke anyway, as long as the sound quality is concerned. The audio card is another matter altogether, however, as when it is connected to a good external sound system we can really get the good sound out. ?

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I mean absolutely no offense and mean this in the best way possible, but the title of the thread literally starts off with “5.4’ buyers...” and then you start the discussion off talking about how you wouldn’t buy the 5.4” model...
No offense taken

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
It depends on why I'd be buying it. If it's primarily price then the bezels don't particularly matter. If, however, the primary reason is for its size then going with larger bezels sort of defeats the purpose of making it small in the first place.

So it'll come down to who Apple are truly targeting the device at… someone buying a cheaper device or someone buying a smaller device.

FWIW the size of the iPhone 11 Pro is about as big as I'm prepared to buy. I own both a XS and Galaxy S10 and that's my limit for size. With large bezels a 5.4" phone can end up being this size. Either way if I were to be buying a new phone its to replace a flagship, or near, and not buying on price (although cheaper is always better). So I wouldn't consider it if its primary role for existing is to be the cheapest iPhone.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Yeah let’s drop down a size phone and have a bigger bezel lol, we don’t wanted a gimped smaller 11.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
bobsamm is right in that nobody will seek out a thicker bezel.

But I would have the XR or the 11 if they were more compact. I have had a XS for 16 months because it was the most compact, but the same bezel as on the XR or 11 is a small price to pay for a more compact phone. The XR/11/non-Pro spec suits me anyway. The difference in features is so small I don't care.

The word on the street is that the 5.4" phone will be between the 8 and the SE in total size so bang, instant buy. The iPhone '9' is a plan B, but I prefer the newer style. XR or 11 style is fine. Phones have changed from the idea of flagships now.

Reactions: CrazyForCashews

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
It's good to see Apple returning to two size options for their phones. Two sizes for their "affordable option" and two sizes for their premium option.

Bezels do not bother me at all, overall size of the phone does. The 5.4" iPhone is gonna be a real winner. Hopefully the rumoured new design of the iPhones isn't reserved for the iPhone 12 Pros. Although now that I think about it, I can definitely see Apple pulling that tactic to make the Pro models more "new," fresh, and interesting compared to the regular iPhone 12.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.