Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
iJustine felt it.

Picture1-27.png

http://twitter.com/ijustine/statuses/871806308

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
It's out in Riverside county, so most of LA Proper wouldn't have felt it. Not sure about damage though. If you fire up google Earth or google maps, if you zoom in on the LAT/LON for the quake, it should show somewhere between CA-91 and CA-57. That should be the Riverside/Pomona/Corona area.

But still, a 5.8 is not too good..

EDIT: USGS is calling it a 2.3?!!!?
BL.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
That was the biggest one I've ever felt. I'm in Long Beach, so not far. It was strong in San Diego too, according to a friend.

Really long and rolly, with a couple of big moves that were strong enough for me to worry and move to a safer spot.

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
That was the biggest one I've ever felt. I'm in Long Beach, so not far. It was strong in San Diego too, according to a friend.

Really long and rolly, with a couple of big moves that were strong enough for me to worry and move to a safer spot.

The original report I heard was that it was in San Diego, so it must have been significant. Hope all are safe.

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
I'm in Orange County. Definitely strong, but not the rockiest quake I've been in. No damage, nothing fell over inside the house.

Seems like it's been a while since we've last had a quake. I guess we were due!

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
The info is in the USGS link the OP posted.

But for the epicenter...

Magnitude 5.8
Date-Time

* Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 18:42:15 UTC
* Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 11:42:15 AM at epicenter

Location 33.959°N, 117.752°W
Depth 12.3 km (7.6 miles)
Region GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIFORNIA
Distances

* 3 km (2 miles) SW (235°) from Chino Hills, CA
* 8 km (5 miles) SE (127°) from Diamond Bar, CA
* 9 km (5 miles) NNE (23°) from Yorba Linda, CA
* 11 km (7 miles) S (178°) from Pomona, CA
* 47 km (29 miles) ESE (103°) from Los Angeles Civic Center, CA

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.3 km (0.2 miles); depth +/- 1.3 km (0.8 miles)
Parameters Nph=144, Dmin=8 km, Rmss=0.42 sec, Gp= 18°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=E
Source

* California Integrated Seismic Net:
* USGS Caltech CGS UCB UCSD UNR

Event ID ci14383980

You probably felt it down the fault, but it definitely wasn't in San Diego. Hope everyone is okay down there, though..

BL.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
ABC7 is reporting runway damage at SNA, ONT, and POC.

Some radar (ASDE-X) is out at LAX. So this is going to be fun.. I think I'll pop over to LiveATC.net and see how ATC is handling it..

BL.

CalPoly10

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
I'm in Santa Ana, which is very close to Chino Hills.

It was pretty strong. It's funny to see how a lot of people react to earthquakes, especially in the office I'm in.

I felt it hit, stood up, closed my MacBook Pro and slid it under the desk. I proceeded to walk in the middle of the room, and ride out the quake.

The rest of the people here yelled and ran outside, calling their friends and family. I couldn't believe it.

I guess they don't really bother me.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
... It's funny to see how a lot of people react to earthquakes, especially in the office I'm in.

That's probably because some people may be traumatized from them. :p E.g., The damn things just kept following me. (the Loma Prieta, I lived in Santa Cruz, and Northridge I lived in Woodland Hills. Seattle had a medium/large one when I was there, etc) Real bugger, those. Freaked me out good and proper) Still, I would usually say a choice swear word and deal like a pro, but inside I was always scared silly.

I suppose this is one thing I don't miss about California. Good old England shakes us up in different ways.

I decided against calling my mom, she's a seasoned pro and we don't jam up phone lines for anything under a 6.something. :p (I sent a nice economical email with an obvious title "Hey momma, what's shakin'?" She'll groan but love me for it all the same. :p)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It's been revised down to a 5.4, so that's good news in the absence of more detail about actual damage.

pooky

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2003
Funny, it felt very minor to me. I'm in Riverside, which was pretty close to the epi, and I felt a short, minor rolling. The reactions of others seemed to be split between totally freaking out, noticing but not caring, and not even noticing. I almost got bowled over by a woman running for the door. And of course, out came the cell phones. We'll be in trouble when we actually have a real disaster, because no one will be able to use the phone lines due to all the idiots calling everyone they know to say "Did you feel it? I know! So did I! OMG!"

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I'm in Moreno Valley and it felt like just another quake rolling through, then it got a bit bigger. o_o

Also, the USGS lady on the news looks like a dude. :eek: :p

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
I felt it in long beach about 20 miles away. Some things fell over and broke. Shook enough for me to get under my desk. :eek::D. It was a nice ride. :cool:

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
I'm up in the AV, and we felt it for sure! At first I thought my body was shaking, and then the pictures started shaking on the walls lol. All good though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.