5.4 Magnitude Earthquake Near Chino Hills CA

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by IJ Reilly, Jul 29, 2008.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

2. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It's out in Riverside county, so most of LA Proper wouldn't have felt it. Not sure about damage though. If you fire up google Earth or google maps, if you zoom in on the LAT/LON for the quake, it should show somewhere between CA-91 and CA-57. That should be the Riverside/Pomona/Corona area.

But still, a 5.8 is not too good..

EDIT: USGS is calling it a 2.3?!!!?
    BL.

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

A rolly long one or a scary sudden shocky one?

5. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

That was the biggest one I've ever felt. I'm in Long Beach, so not far. It was strong in San Diego too, according to a friend.

Really long and rolly, with a couple of big moves that were strong enough for me to worry and move to a safer spot.

6. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Rolling, about ten seconds worth -- but we're pretty far away.

This was felt distinctly over several counties, and very definitely in Los Angeles. We're much further away.

7. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

boy that was fun...i'm about 10 miles from the epicenter, second floor building. minor building damage, ceiling tiles etc. FREAKED me out.

8. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That was one of the aftershocks. So far five of them, three at 3.8

9. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

The original report I heard was that it was in San Diego, so it must have been significant. Hope all are safe.

10. therevolution macrumors 6502

I'm in Orange County. Definitely strong, but not the rockiest quake I've been in. No damage, nothing fell over inside the house.

Seems like it's been a while since we've last had a quake. I guess we were due!

11. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I felt it .. I'm near SD... Strongest quake for me so far.. 5.6 Quake

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The info is in the USGS link the OP posted.

But for the epicenter...

You probably felt it down the fault, but it definitely wasn't in San Diego. Hope everyone is okay down there, though..

BL.

13. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes. I'm in El Segundo, CA. Maybe 25 miles away. No damage. Coffee did not even slosh around much. The report showed up on the web two minutes after. Small quakes like these are good, they relieve stress and prevent larger quakes. I noticed on the web there were over 700 Earthquakes in California this week. Most very small.

14. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

ABC7 is reporting runway damage at SNA, ONT, and POC.

Some radar (ASDE-X) is out at LAX. So this is going to be fun.. I think I'll pop over to LiveATC.net and see how ATC is handling it..

BL.

16. CalPoly10 macrumors regular

I'm in Santa Ana, which is very close to Chino Hills.

It was pretty strong. It's funny to see how a lot of people react to earthquakes, especially in the office I'm in.

I felt it hit, stood up, closed my MacBook Pro and slid it under the desk. I proceeded to walk in the middle of the room, and ride out the quake.

The rest of the people here yelled and ran outside, calling their friends and family. I couldn't believe it.

I guess they don't really bother me.

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That's probably because some people may be traumatized from them. :p E.g., The damn things just kept following me. (the Loma Prieta, I lived in Santa Cruz, and Northridge I lived in Woodland Hills. Seattle had a medium/large one when I was there, etc) Real bugger, those. Freaked me out good and proper) Still, I would usually say a choice swear word and deal like a pro, but inside I was always scared silly.

I suppose this is one thing I don't miss about California. Good old England shakes us up in different ways.

I decided against calling my mom, she's a seasoned pro and we don't jam up phone lines for anything under a 6.something. :p (I sent a nice economical email with an obvious title "Hey momma, what's shakin'?" She'll groan but love me for it all the same. :p)

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's been revised down to a 5.4, so that's good news in the absence of more detail about actual damage.

19. pooky macrumors 6502

Funny, it felt very minor to me. I'm in Riverside, which was pretty close to the epi, and I felt a short, minor rolling. The reactions of others seemed to be split between totally freaking out, noticing but not caring, and not even noticing. I almost got bowled over by a woman running for the door. And of course, out came the cell phones. We'll be in trouble when we actually have a real disaster, because no one will be able to use the phone lines due to all the idiots calling everyone they know to say "Did you feel it? I know! So did I! OMG!"

20. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I'm in Moreno Valley and it felt like just another quake rolling through, then it got a bit bigger. o_o

Also, the USGS lady on the news looks like a dude. :eek: :p

21. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I felt it in long beach about 20 miles away. Some things fell over and broke. Shook enough for me to get under my desk. :eek::D. It was a nice ride. :cool:

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

23. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I'm up in the AV, and we felt it for sure! At first I thought my body was shaking, and then the pictures started shaking on the walls lol. All good though!