5.4 update wants 4.1gb!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by digitalpencil, Jul 30, 2008.

1. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Hi,

I'm currently running 5.2 and need to update my machine to 5.4, software update tells me the update is 560mb but when I attempt to install it tells me I need 4.1gb free space which, i don't have.. is this a glitch? my disk currently only has 2gb free.

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It shouldn't take that much space, has this been happening repeatedly, or is this just the first time? Try a restart and see if the problem persists. And I would free up some space on your drive, you won't be able to install much of anything for updates in the future.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You're going to want to open up some space on your drive before you do anything else...

4. digitalpencil thread starter macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Thanks i've managed to open up 2.8gb so far.. trouble is my tiny 120gb disk is chocka and i'm having trouble finding anything to backup to ext storage that i don't need.
    @JML yeh, that's why i never updated to 5.3, i didn't have the space but i'm trying to install something that requires 5.3 to run so have to bite the bullet now. i'm downloading the standalone 5.4 installer now to see if it gets different results, otherwise i'll have to clear out some more space some how..

I need a new hdd!! ;)

5. digitalpencil thread starter macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

well for whatever reason the standalone installer only wanted 1.8gb and has since installed and consumed only 500-odd mb.
    I've no idea wtf's up with it but whatever, it works..

Thanks for the input.