Nov 14, 2007
London
the age old question

I want an apple watch for the working day as I expect lots of traffic on:
1. SMS
2. LinkedIn
3. WhatsApp

I don't need to communicate, just to be alerted

I also like the active screens, with info, and the single click to stocks and some other info. Also the ECG, which I absolutely don't need, I want to have ;)

The question is, do I need cellular ?
I understand the battery lasts longer without it
Obviously I can have these alerts without the phone, but at home I would be covered by wifi, and when I am out I always have my phone on me. The only thing I can think of which is useful is that I can pop out from work, or walk around work (wifi doesn't work as it uses a sign-on) and still get alerts, but this is not critical.
I am saving 20% of the cost obviously

I am thinking just to get a GPS one, but do you guys think I am missing out on anything I haven't thought of ?

Many thanks

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
I have the cellular version and have found I really don't need it. But, its nice to have for when I go to the gym and want to leave my phone in the truck. With cellular, I can listen to Apple Music. I've not run into another situation were I needed cellular on the watch. Short of an emergency SOS, that is.

rbart

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2013
France
For me, the cellular is very useful for running without any phone.
My family can see where I am, I can call if I have a problem or they can call me if they need.
It's more a security feature for outside activities.
Otherwise you are near your phone and it's useless

mk313

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Personally, I think that the cellular vs non-cellular is one of those things that if you can’t figure out when you’d need it, you probably won’t miss it.

I find it useful, but mainly for running/cycling when I don’t carry my phone. It’s handy for staying connected if I run into a store or something, but if I didn’t use it for exercising, I probably wouldn’t buy it for anything else (at least not at the current monthly cost).

colonelbutt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
London
you guys all seem very sporty. I don't actually go to the gym or jog.
I do go on photo walks at lunchtime, but I think I would still take my phone in my camera bag
something to think about though. Ultimately I would need wireless headphones as well as I wouldn't answer calls on speaker. So more expense ...

Reactions: max2

Stooby Mcdoobie

Contributor
Jun 26, 2012
Seems like the best option for you would be the GPS version of the watch and then put the difference toward a set of Airpods (or other wireless headphones of your choosing).

I have a cellular 3 series, which I really like as I use it on runs without the phone. But if you have your phone with you all (or most) of the time, that defeats the purpose of going with the cellular option.

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016
Other than running I’ve never found a situation where I’m without the phone but I’m still paying for the cellular connection, just in case.

doolar

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2019
I use cellular quite a lot. Short trips to the store, running and walks outside. It’s nice to leave my phone behind and still be reachable. Going to the beach in the summer leaving my phone at home (no more of the silly hiding the phone in shoes etc) and have a method of payment too for the obligatory ice cream. Going mountain biking etc etc.

In short I find it very useful! But - if you always have your phone with you, don’t bother IMO.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
A good thing for cellular watch is aside from cellular, there is no obvious differences between GPS one and cellular one. Unless you want to go for stainless or ceramic, GPS model works 90% of the time for most people.

colonelbutt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
London
I think the thing for me is I don't need it and it would be nice to have once a month say, but its one of those things that you can't get back once I have made my choice. So its the GAS thing. I am taking comfort from these posts that perhaps I wont miss it

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
I think the thing for me is I don't need it and it would be nice to have once a month say, but its one of those things that you can't get back once I have made my choice. So its the GAS thing. I am taking comfort from these posts that perhaps I wont miss it
You won’t. You said it yourself on the 1st post that you have your phone with you all the time so cellular watch is indeed unnecessary for you. I’m using cellular version because I HATE having phone with me all the time. There the difference.

colonelbutt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
London
Ok so I bought non-cellular version and loving it. I had the watch 3 and 4 before but sold them because I found it annoying to raise my wrist to see the time. The 5 is really a game changer.
I am using info graph as I want to have the maximum info on the screen at any one time.
There are still improvements that can be made but they are all software. I want proper LinkedIn, SMS and WhatsApp complications which are active, ie show a sign for new message in the front face.
Otherwise it’s great

Reactions: max2

max2

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Ok so I bought non-cellular version and loving it. I had the watch 3 and 4 before but sold them because I found it annoying to raise my wrist to see the time. The 5 is really a game changer.
I am using info graph as I want to have the maximum info on the screen at any one time.
There are still improvements that can be made but they are all software. I want proper LinkedIn, SMS and WhatsApp complications which are active, ie show a sign for new message in the front face.
Otherwise it’s great
Cool. Hope one day I can get a Apple Watch 5 or greater. So far the Apple Watch 3 is awesome.

I just worry about the battery life of a always on display but being able to see the time all the time seems awesome.

Reactions: colonelbutt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.