iPhone X 5.5 inch screens since 2014. Would I be happy with Xs?

hotdeck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Torn between Xs and Xs max. I have been using Plus phones since iPhone 6 Plus. I found the phone to be a little too big for jeans and pants. For jacket pocket no problem.

Would I be happy to buy Xs this year for a bit more portability? Anyone downgraded size last year to X and miss the larger screen?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
London
There is no comparison. The Max has a larger screen than the Plus phones.

If you frequently watch videos om your phone then the Max is a no brainer. If not, the Xs should be fine.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2018
I miss the extra screen space. But not that much. I’d rather have the x then a plus model. Normal plus model such as the 8 plus that is. I have a xs max in the way. What I would do if I were you is go to a Best Buy or apple store, or anywhere that has phones on display, and check out the x. Or wait until release day so you can check out both the xs and xs max. You’ll get a better feel for it. For what it’s worth, I have received one of the xs max cases I ordered already, and it reminds me of the size of a plus size phone.

macrumors Demi-God
Oct 2, 2016
I find the XS size too narrow and just tall to enioy content, you might be different but considering that you are used to the Plus size since 2014 I think you'd be disappointed with the XS screen size in a couple of weeks.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’ve had every Plus phone since the 6 as well and upgraded to the X last year in November. I do miss the size of the Plus phones and if I could I would upgrade to the XS Max. I am happy with the size and speed of my X, especially on iOS 12. I’m not disappointed to keep my device another year.

mjjferreira

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
I'm in the same situation, but since 2015.
I've ordered a Xs and i know i will enjoy it...basically the same screen size on a much pleasant form factor.

mjjferreira

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
I find the XS size too narrow and just tall to enioy content, you might be different but considering that you are used to the Plus size since 2014 I think you'd be disappointed with the XS screen size in a couple of weeks.
How's that?
The X has 5.8" and the Plus has 5.5. They should have basically the same scree size. Viewing content is identical.
The only hit will be worst battery in the X.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have an X and miss my 6s plus. Not to the point in agonizing over it, but I don't feel my user experienced has drastically improved.

If they had and X Max last year, I'd have gotten that and had less buyers remorse. I say if you're used to the plus sized screens and you don't mind another $100, just go with that.

I've been pretty vocal on here about the 6s plus being my favorite iPhone ever and I still stand by that. It was simply the best value in screen size and features, imo. I should've stuck to my gut and replaced the battery and gotten another two years out of it. The list for the X was too strong. It's a very nice phone. And I don't know that I'd have any complaints if the 6s plus wasn't such a solid performer still.
[doublepost=1537116725][/doublepost]
How's that?
The X has 5.8" and the Plus has 5.5. They should have basically the same scree size. Viewing content is identical.
You get a smaller screen size when viewing video in standard ratios. The plus is hands down superior for this. You have a much smaller screen size overall unless you're watching "notched" video. But in that case you're seen content cut off above and below, again due to ratios.

macrumors Demi-God
Oct 2, 2016
How's that?
It's not, the content size is similar to the 4.7" iPhones, you get a big status bar on the top with the notch sides which take away the content you can see, the default video proportion is the same as the 4.7" iPhones unless you expand it but then you lose content on the sides, top and bottom and there's also the keyboard which takes too much space with that grey background for emoji and dictation icons. It's also less wider than the Plus which already makes you lose screen real estate. Overall the 5.8" X's give you the same viewing experience as the 4.7" iPhones.

StarShot

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2014
How's that?
I'm very happy with the form factor of the X. However, I think the Plus 5.5 is slightly bigger than the X 5.8 because the Plus is slightly wider. Think of the X as a slighly smaller form factor than the Plus. If we didn't have the X option, I would still be using the old 4.7 IP. IMO, the Plus is a bit dorky to be seen with in public.

upandown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2017
It's not, the content size is similar to the 4.7" iPhones, you get a big status bar on the top with the notch sides which take away the content you can see, the default video proportion is the same as the 4.7" iPhones unless you expand it but then you lose content on the sides, top and bottom and there's also the keyboard which takes too much space with that grey background for emoji and dictation icons. It's also less wider than the Plus which already makes you lose screen real estate. Overall the 5.8" X's give you the same viewing experience as the 4.7" iPhones.
Completely incorrect. That was what people assumed before the X came out. The X viewing experience is larger in every dimension from the 4.7. And frankly substantially wider than the 4.7. I’m assuming you don’t own an X.

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2008
Completely incorrect. That was what people assumed before the X came out. The X viewing experience is larger in every dimension from the 4.7. And frankly substantially wider than the 4.7. I’m assuming you don’t own an X.

I agree I have the X and my husband has the 7. There is no way the viewing areas are equal.

mjjferreira

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
TRUE.

iPhone X real screen area: 296,724 points

iPhone 8 Plus real screen area: 304,704 points

iPhone 8 real screen area: 250,125 points

This means that the iPhone X has 97.38% the area of the iPhone 8 Plus, or simply put, its screen is 2.6% smaller.

And when compared to the iPhone 8 and its 4.7-inch display, the iPhone X actually has an 18.6% bigger display.

...and it has 458ppi. :) sharper display.

Reactions: alex00100 and rjp1

johannnn

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
How's that?
5.8” vs 5.5” is measured on the diagonal.
But they have very different aspect ratios (X is more tall and narrow).
How is this relevant? Normal media, let’s say YouTube videos, are in the same aspect ratio as 5.8” iPhone. On all iPhones except the iPhone X, you don’t get a black border on the sides. But since iPhone X is so narrow, you get a huge border on the sides. The narrow-ness therefore limits the iPhone X when watching media. Basically, the video will have the same size as on a 4.7” iPhone (the non-Plus models).

TLDR: iPhone X is very narrow. Great when holding the phone vertically, absolutely not great when holding the phone horizontally.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I’m moving from Plus to XS. Spent some time playing with the X in the Apple store trying out a variety of things. I was completely at ease with the screen size within a few minutes and the overall size of the device is vastly better.

Pipper99

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I went from the Plus sized iPhones to the X for the new tech and features, but what I really wanted was a Plus sized, bezel-less X model. I’m excited about going big again. :)

macrumors Demi-God
Oct 2, 2016
I'm assuming you're wrong. Tap on a video from YouTube or Netflix and check how it matches the 4.7" screen real estate unless you expand it, but then you're losing content. It's wrong to assume what other people own or not based on your biased experience.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
PVB, Florida
I’m moving from Plus to XS. Spent some time playing with the X in the Apple store trying out a variety of things. I was completely at ease with the screen size within a few minutes and the overall size of the device is vastly better.
I wish I could get here. My wife has the X she’s going to punch me if I watch one more video or type one more note on it. I loved the size of it but video still small for me.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Got it.

The Plus models were getting to big for me
WTH does this mean??? The Plus has been the same size since 6 Plus, 6s Plus, 7 Plus, 8 Plus.

The only thing getting to big for you and everybody else asking the same question no matter how its phrased is the price.

The price is whats gotten to big, its OK to say it, it will give you relief once you do. :)

Reactions: wbeasley

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
PVB, Florida
WTH does this mean??? The Plus has been the same size since 6 Plus, 6s Plus, 7 Plus, 8 Plus.

The only thing getting to big for you and everybody else asking the same question no matter how its phrased is the price.

The price is whats gotten to big, its OK to say it, it will give you relief once you do. :)
I get it. Many of us love the Plus. We love the screen. However, it not fitting in pockets & just being BIG.. starts to get old. Some can leave it. Some can’t.

mjjferreira

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016

Has i get holder...the plus size is "getting bigger".
I want a small form factor...more pratical and convenient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.