$5.99 to rent Prometheus?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pedz, Oct 12, 2012.

1. pedz macrumors regular

Hope this isn't a new trend, Prometheus is $5.99 to rent HD, haven't seen any other HD rentals that high (except for those available while still in theaters). Six dollars for a rental seems like a lot of money, unfortunately it is still #1 so doesn't look like it is hurting volume.

2. PhoenixDown macrumors regular

I would be okay with that if it included a rent to own option (pay the difference between the rental and the own rate).

Promethus wasn't to good though, nothing at all like Alien(s).

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

If you look you'll see movies for rental at $6.99 and even $9.99

4. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Wonder how Redbox makes it work , considering they actually have to have kiosks, actual hard copy DVD's. and do it at 1/4 of the price.

5. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I think they actually buy the DVDs and then rent those out. Hollywood has been screwing the streaming market ever since streaming was available. They just want someone to "buy" their DVDs instead of streaming them...maybe in 30 years they will catch up to 2005...

6. pedz thread starter macrumors regular

As I mentioned, the only rentals I ever saw for $6.99 or $9.99 were for rentals while the movie was still in theaters.

I do like the idea of the option to buy so you don't throw the $6 away. But I still think $6 is a lot for a rental, especially when there is no physical media involved. They are obviously seeing how much they can milk us for.

Studios are all worried about piracy online and very resistant to the online model, but I haven't heard much pirating of iTunes purchased movies, and never heard of anyone pirating an iTunes rental (not to suggest it is impossible though). I think ripping dvd's is a lot easier than pirating an itunes rental, and if the industry would embrace online they can get a lot more out of it without the ridiculous prices ($20 for an online purchase you can't transfer ownership of is equally ridiculous, but I still do it :)

7. DP812 macrumors regular

For HD versions, I have seen rental prices that high. I'm with PhoenixDown, though, I would love it if there were a rent to buy option where you rent it, see if you like it, and then pay the difference in the purchase price. I've been debating whether to buy Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter or to wait until the rental is available, and that option would make the choice a whole hell of a lot easier.

8. jamesvdm macrumors regular

jamesvdm

Count yourself lucky, $6.99 is standard for all new releases in Australia.

9. bdrake47 macrumors regular

Wrong price, wrong movie!

:confused:Prometheus would not be worth $5.99 even IF you were getting the physical media.

The trailers were far better than the movie itself turned out to be. It seemed like the writer or director just lost track of the plot partway through, then just threw in some stuff from Alien, some other random plot lines, and toward the end just totally winged it.

More on topic, that does seem kind of a high price point for rental streaming.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Does the rental include all the missing bits the blueray copy has??

11. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

The only thing great about Prometheus was the 3D, I wouldn't recommend the purchase if you don't have a 3D player.

12. charlien macrumors regular

While it is expensive, look at the cost to see it in the theatre. The rental price is probably cheaper than the heart clogging bucket of popcorn most people buy. I prefer my home over the theatre any day. No travel, better snacks, clean facilities, and no distractions. Sure the theatre screen is cool but they always turn the volume up so loud I am never comfortable.

This is of course justifying a $6.99 - $9.99 rental price while the movie is still in the theatre. Once released on DVD it should compete with Red Box and cable on demand.

13. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Plus, grumpy old men like you can never get any lumbar support in those movie theater chairs.

14. Tezcatlipoca macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

Prometheus is £4.49 in the UK to rent the HD version, as are others... that's $7.22 in USD.

15. Che Castro macrumors 603

16. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I didn't think it was that great of a movie. I am glad I didn't go see it at the theaters...I think the rental price was too much to pay for it. It left a lot of questions unanswered. Maybe they are planning a sequel or something, but I was very disappointed with the ending.