5-Bay External Hard Drive RAID Enclosures - Which one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BrittQ, Dec 7, 2008.

1. BrittQ macrumors regular

I am trying to decide which 5 Bay external enclosure to get.

My setup:
    Macbook Pro w/ eSATA card (2 eSATA inputs). I want to use 1 port to connect a 5 bay enclosure. Is it possible to set it up so I can have 4 drives RAID 1 (so 2 drives mirroring the other 2). Then have the 1 drive left used as a time machine for my internal hard drive on my MBP?

What I have found:
    They are all about the same price $210 to $225

I can't figure out exactly what the differences are, and which one would play best with a Mac.

• Sans Digital TR5M-B
      RAID 0, 1, 1+0, 5, 5+spare, spanning and JBOD (using bundled utilities).
      Accesses five hard drives using only one cable. Cable-less backplane design supporting hot-swappable SATA I and SATA II.
    • Sans Digital TR5M
      Accesses five hard drives using only one cable. Support PC, MAC and Linux. (Please note that the host adapter card is based on Silicon Image chipset, which currently only support up to MAC OS 10.5.1 by Silicon Image.) Can someone explain this to me please?
    • Sans Digital TR5M1
      Cable-less backplane design supporting hot-swappable SATA I and SATA II. 2-port eSATA PCIe HBA included, to connect up to two units for a maximum of 10 HDDs. Is this 2-port PCIe card what makes this one different? This won't be useful for a MBP... right?
    • Rosewill RSV-SS
      RAID 0, 1, 10, 5 and JBOD.
      Sil3726/ Sil3132R5 Software RAID Design Form Factor: Compact Tower Cooling Fan: 120mm silence cooling fan Providing 5 bay SATA II 3G HDD huge storage space for your multi media data backup. RAID 0/1/0+1/5 subsystem design protects your data from losing. e-SATA (300 MB/s transfer rate) connects RSV-S5 to your system. 5 times faster than USB 2.0 (60 MB/s) interface. 120 mm silence fan guarantees the best cooling performance. Full 220W power supply included. Special tray in and out/ easy replacement design. Solid SECC body to protect your HDD hardware. Warning: RSV-S5 Must work With Silicon Image Multilane compatible host (like RC-213/ RC-214/RC-220, which included in box). If you connect RSV-S5 to a host without Port Multiplier function, the system might only catch one HDD instead of all. RSV-S5 can provide a huge storage space with 5 SATA 3G HDD. Please remind that the limitation for each partition for Windows system is 2 TB. If you set a partition which is more than 2 TB, system can only detect 2 TB max. Please read all document carefully before installing RSV-S5. Access to 5 Hard Drives while using only one cable via Port Multiplier function.
      Support Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows Server 2003, Server 2008 and MAC 10.4/10.5 (Support MAC and Linux via Port Multiplier)
    :confused::eek::confused:

EDIT:
    Sans Digital's website.

2. FireWire2, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

FireWire2 macrumors 6502

FireWire2