5 bay jbod usb3 or lightning enclosures?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by HDFan, Dec 2, 2014.

1. HDFan macrumors 6502

My Oyden Möbius 5 bay jbod enclosure does not recognize my Wd 6 tb red or hgst 6 tb drives. Pending a response from their support I'm looking for a possible replacement that would see the drives. Ideally it would have raid 5 available ( if I change to identical disks). Lightning 2 would be nice, but since it would initially just be setup as a jbod Usb3 would work as well since it can handle the transfer rate of one drive.

I looked at la cie big 5big but they want to sell you disks and I already have them (different brands and sizes). Don't know if a drobo 5 can be set up as a jbod. However if I decide to go to raid it is slow compared to a hardware solution.

One of the 6 tb drives says it is Sata 6. Don't know what that is or whether it could be the problem.

2. HDFan thread starter macrumors 6502

Turns out that the Mobius 5-Bay USB3, Firewire 800, 400, eSata RAID enclosure was defective. Moved a disk in slot 1 which was working to slot 4 and the unit hung.

One of the reasons that I chose this unit was due to the comments in MacRumours forms about their excellent support. Oyen digital did not disappoint. They were easy to reach, courteous, and knowledgeable. I chose an advance replacement option (paid for a replacement unit, to be refunded upon receipt of the RMA'd unit). The replacement arrived in 5 days (I'm on the West Coast). Both the HGST Enterprise and Western Digital Red 6 TB drives are now working.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I have that (black) and it has auto eject issues.. beware! Kind of made it useless for a serious FCP X media storage device, I disabled RAID and now use it to house storage drives and I turn it on every once in awhile...